home my cottage projects book club shop featured my buttons advertise

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Dining Room

Experiments
I'm trying out some new things in the dining room. 
It's hard to get a good photo because it's against a window but I brought my outdoor large planter in side the house.
I usually have large boston ferns growing in this during the warm weather months outside but
my new potting bench will be going where this usually sits and I just thought on a whim...
"Hey! Why don't I bring it inside?"
This jade plant came from my friend Kevin of 
That's Kevin's mantel and this is Kevin's staircase...
His house is amazing and I'm not the only one who thinks so.
He and his home are in the latest issue of Flea Market Style.
This is a great issue by the way. 

Anyway, back to the jade plant.

Kevin sent it to me in a box last summer hacked off his giant jade plant he has growing outside his 
California cottage.

This is how it looked after I planted it then.
I replanted it the other day because it was outgrowing its pot.
I fear it hasn't been getting enough light.
I'm hoping this new spot in the window will keep it happy.
I just threw some other things in this stand to fill it up for now.
I can imagine this being a place to do rotating displays.
Wouldn't it be pretty filled with orchids and african violets?
I don't think that's going to happen though...I'm not into taking care of houseplants.
That fern is fake. Kevin's jade plant is all I can manage.
What do you think? Do you like this in the dining room?

Here you can see it with a glimpse of the shutters that I recently brought in the house too.
They are in great shape. I just have to decide what color I want to paint them.
I have them on both sides of the dining room window.
I want them to have a very distressed finished whatever color I decide on.
Mom said she liked them as is...but I think they must be painted.

Are you having a good week?
Mine's going well.

sharing at



15 comments:

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Love the planter in front of the window! And those shutters will be perfect when painted and distressed.

Unknown said...

Yes, I think paint them for sure! Love your little Jade plant. I have that new magazine and your friends house is amazing!

NanaDiana said...

What a sweet planter in front of the window. It is a gorgeous piece. Kevin's house is gorgeous! xo Diana

"Create Beauty" said...

That's a great planter, looks good in your window! I like garden decor indoors... and the shutters will be fabulous painted. I've read a bit about the new "MMS" Milk Paint... it self-distresses and then you sand off those areas, might be interesting!

~ Violet

Ricki Treleaven said...

I like the planter inside. I want to be friends with Kevin!

Bev said...

So cool! My grandmother always had a cart indoors with ferns and Amberware that she collected. For Christams, she put cotton snow and snowmen with glitter. Love your friend's stairs! Those are awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Cheery wave from Bev

http://44thstreetfabric.blogspot.com

Adam Hazlett said...

Perfect! Your arrangement looks wonderful. Can't wait to see what it will look like this Halloween season.
For the shutters, how about turquoise base with chippy white on top...or not....can't wait to see what you come up with.
My week is going well...my parents are flying me home to Virginia Beach for a 5 day weekend!

Marlee said...

I love your planter and think it looks fabulous in your dining room. In fact, you have inspired me to do something similar.

Cindi Myers said...

I really like it inside!
Perfect.
I love those shutters.
I can envision it in Turquoise Blue. :D
I'm off to check out Kevin's house, I love what I've seen so far!
XOXO - Cindi

Amy Chalmers said...

Nita, all I could do was stare at the shutters...now tell me if you would like to try MMS milk paint on them, cuz i would send you some to use. It will self distress and you can get the chippy look you want! xo

Linda Hartong said...

Love the shutters
The jade plant prefers filtered ligh and no direct sun
Love the planter used inside like that

Scribbler said...

I like it! I have ann outdoor table of metal and glass in front of mine, and I keep a lot of glass on it because I like the way it looks with sunlight coming through.

Your shutters look perfect on either side of the window -- I vote for turquoise!

Connie said...

I've always loved indoor shutters and yours are perfect by your dining room windows. Along with the white plant stand, it's like bringing the outside in. I vote for blue too. It can't miss.

I would probably add a silk or live plant to the stand.
I like plants that trail and drape. silk plants are easy care. When it gets dusty, swish in soapy water, rinse and air dry...good as new.

Bella said...

Love the shelf under the window, shutters must be painted and I can't wait to see what color you choose.

Patty said...

I love the plant stand inside...it looks great. Thanks for sharing the pic of Kevin's stairs! I pinned that picture on Pinterest and never knew it is Kevin's stairs. I would LOVE to know the paint colors because I am painting my stairs and i love his. Glad you had a good day!!