home my cottage projects book club shop featured my buttons advertise

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Vintage Kitchen Stoves

 via
Vintage stoves...I'm pretty much obsessed with them.
Oh....how I want one! 
As I said earlier this week one of the drawers under my range top is all crooked.
The track is bent which means I have to buy another track and install it.
Not a fun job. I've done it before.

And my wall oven does not maintain a constant temperature.
I set it and it gets up to whatever temperature I've set it at and then it immediately starts to cool down.
I'm sure it's probably the thermostat that is acting up.

But oh...how it makes me want to just pull out the wall oven and take out the range top
and get an old stove.
 via
A nice vintage stove like these.
 via
They are dreamy.
 via
They are not too expensive. But to have one refurbished IS expensive.
 via
Aren't these stoves amazing?
 via
The gorgeous centerpiece in a vintage kitchen.
 via
Yes, I want one badly.
I see them time to time on Craigslist.
 Here is one currently listed for $400.
This one for $500. 
If I coud haul one of these home by myself...I'd probably already have one.
But I can't.
 A more practical alternative would be this Big Chill new model and it could be delivered.
It does look some what vintage. And it has all the modern conveniences like instant lighting burners.
Plus the top is easy to clean.
 They come in a wonderful selection of colors...but I'd just get a vintage white 
although the yellow really is pretty.
Or do you think a White Viking would be better?

These are the things I day dream about....which stove will I get when I can get a stove.

I ponder it like its the most important decision ever.

Never mind that I can't afford to do anything about anything at present.

But when the time comes that I can...I'll know exactly what I want.

Today my Mom is coming up and we are going shopping! 
Not for stoves...we are just going to mess around and see if there is anything we need.

Of course we always need something!

Have a Happy Saturday!

16 comments:

paperjunk-lc said...

I'm drawn to these old stoves as well. I think it reminds me of my grandmothers. Have a great weekend...thanks for always posting such great content!

Thehouseofhampton said...

Oh Nita, please consider treating yourself! You'll love it everyday. One year later I'm still paying for my appliances but don't regret it. I love using them...
Cooking is more fun!
Sharon

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh I do love the vintage ones, some are so fabulous and that Viking is wonderful too. Mine is just simple cheap builder grade and has to do, but dreaming is fun. Have fun shopping. Hugs, Marty

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

I'd go with the new Viking. We bought a dual fuel 3 years ago, but not a vintage looking one. I think the new features with the old look is the way to go.

Cindi Myers said...

We are so much alike.
I obsess every single day about a new counter-top.
Marble? Black? Butcher Block?
I think about it constantly.
and yet, I'm behind on the energy bill. Maybe it's our way of distracting ourselves from our bigger problems.
I would go for the Big Chill one.
New and under warranty.
Or....you could get a Viking and I'll get the Marble! Hahahahahaha!
Ha! :(

Stacey said...

Nita, my Dad has a beautiful old stove..you can see the picture here.
http://poofingthepillows.blogspot.com/2014/02/this-old-house.html

He has a true love affair with it. But I'll tell ya, you can be in the middle of making Thanksgiving dinner and the temp will vary or the pilot light will go out. :)

Brenda Pruitt said...

I'd love one too. I wonder what they'd cost for a new one that looks old, like Big Chill? I thought your mom lived in OKC?
Brenda

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Oh Nita, this are gorgeous and they do bring memories of the fitees somehow. I think my mom had one very similar to that creamy yellow color one almost at the bottom. Thanks for sharing and maybe you should splurge on one, I would!
FABBY

Debby said...

Oh my , please don't go alone down back roads for a Craigslist stove. I still haven't recovered from that adventure hah. I do love those stoves.

Adam Hazlett said...

Those old designs are so creative. It's like the designers back then just had great imaginations...I've always thought that way about old cars too. Just look at the VW Beetle, so fun with lots of character. For that retro look, have you looked at Northstar? They make everything...with a hefty pricetag.
http://www.elmirastoveworks.com/northstar/ranges/models/

Sonia said...

Nita,
I just love all those pretty vintage stoves. I have certainly dreamed about redoing my kitchen and adding one..a girl can dream! Stay warm ..the wind is howling outside!
Miss Bloomers

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

Nita,

I love your inspiration pictures! I also love that you chose white stoves! I won't have a stove in my new kitchen, but I wanted the oven and the range to be white... That is totally out of fashion in France right now and I've looked for several one for something white and in my price range!

Magali

karen@somewhatquirky said...

You're killing me you know. With all these vintage kitchen pictures lately. I can hardly stand it.

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

We had a 1950 stove in our old house that was situated inside an arched cubby, but when it died, we replaced it with a new stove. At the time, I didn't know what I had! Charming kitchens!

My Little Bungalow said...

Oh my gosh, I adore those vintage stoves. They are beautiful and charming. I have a friend who has a vintage stove in her 1950's style kitchen (in her 1920's house). Above the range, hanging on the wall, is a framed vintage ad of that very stove.
Claudia

Tam Francis said...

I'm a huge fan too. I was soooo sad when we moved to Texas and I had to leave my vintage stove behind. My hubby said we'd get a new one, but haven't yet. I had an O'Keefe and Merritt like you pic, but now, since our house is 1908, I'm looking for a 20s or 30s stove. Hard to find one big enough with burners that can handle multiple pans at once. I'll keep looking. Thanks for sharing your inspiration pix!

~ Tam Francis ~
www.girlinthejitterbugdress.com