home my cottage projects book club shop featured my buttons advertise

Friday, April 15, 2011

Herb Gardens

Gardening at Night
Every year the first thing I plant is my little herb garden.
The one above is not mine. Although I like the tiered pot effect and think I might do this in the future.
This is mine...planted last night about 11:30 pm.
I love to garden at night. Do you?
I always find myself singing this old REM song when I do.
Ah...this one takes me back.....

Gardening at night is very pleasant...no bugs...no sun beating down.
Only disadvantage is you have to rely on how the dirt feels to make sure you have your roots really covered. 
Hey! That's a lot like when I color my hair.

Anyway...I have a big pot on my back deck that I fill every year with herbs. 
It has a northern exposure...which I think would be a little lacking in light
because its in the shade in the afternoon, but herbs do great in this spot.
I think that is because when plant tags say "Full Sun", they do not mean "Oklahoma Full Sun"
Oklahoma Full sun burns everything up.
So this year I planted my standard, basil, rosemary and thyme.
Plus two plants of thai basil. Thai basil is my favorite. 
Tear a little of that up in some oriental ramen noodles with a little sugar added and it's delish.
It tastes like it costs more than 18 cents.

Oh and I planted mint in a separate pot. I've got to have fresh mint for my ice tea.
I love the smell of the fresh basil and rosemary as I brush by the plants going in and out of my back door.
Plus the dogs come in smelling of it.
Love this image of a table filled with herbs.
How about these vintage baskets full of them?
Oh...to have a real herb garden. I can just imagine the weenies trotting along these paths.
So it's been unseasonably warm here for the past month...
but historically its not safe to put out plants here till after April 15.
That is the date of our latest freeze.
So even though it's been warm...I've been trying not to buy plants yet.
But yesterday, Lowe's had boston ferns for $5 each! 
Yes, I've never seen them that cheap. So run to your nearest Lowe's, now!
So I bought three and today it is cold and blustery here and I had to bring them in the house.
I think it may get down to freezing tonight. 
Everyone in my neighborhood has their plants and flowers out.
I guess I was right to postpone my gardening.
My clemantis is in full swing though.
Both of them.
I hope  they make it through the night.
Last year they were just getting going good when the big hail storm destroyed them 
and they never were very nice the rest of the year.

Let me know if I am the only crazy person other than Michael Stipe that gardens at night.

************

Last day for
My Shabby Apple Giveaway...


You get to choose which dress.....
I'll choose a winner on April 15.
Just go to this post to enter.

I'll take entries till 8pm central time tonight.

sharing at

18 comments:

MaryMG said...

Yes...rosemary, basil, mint, AND I've GOT to have cilantro. Near freezing here (Iowa) tonight, also! Yikes!!

An Urban Cottage said...

LOVE R.E.M....and Thai basil.

Brianne said...

I sometimes at night until the mosquitoes invade - I live in Florida. It is fun to do on a full moon. I am so sorry that the weather will be bad for you tonight. You are a good gardner to have not put your plants in the ground; I know how hard that is. I loved the herb post. My herb garden is my favorite. I plant in terra cotta pots. I also save old wheel barrows that people throw out. I flatten the wheel to make it even and fill with dirt. I then plant the herbs in them. I have three filled with basils, thymes, sages and marjarim. One of them I took off the handles completely and the "basin" part just sits on the ground. I love to walk around the garden and nibble on the leaves. My favorite garden herb is cilantro or culantro. I hope your beautiful clemantis makes it through the night!

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Hi Nita...I totally love the round table with the pots of herbs...what a great idea. I usually plant basil, rosemary and parsley in pots on my deck. Last year the parsley didn't do very well...not sure what I did wrong! We are at least 3 weeks away from any planting weather. It's still in the 30's. Blah. Oh...I noticed that you added me to your blog roll. I was so excited! Thank you so much...have a great weekend. ~Ann

the gardener's cottage said...

because of the heat here, during the summer you will often find us out at night. i make a batch of sangria and we just pretend like we are normal. way better than tv. ahahha. so i can relate to your nocturnal gardening sessions. i can't wait to see more of your garden when it is in full swing.

xo
janet

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Love those large baskets filled with herbs. Thanks for the tip about Lowes.

Cindi Myers said...

AARRGGGGHHHH!!!!!
I was just "looking" for good photos for my next post on....herbs!
Sigh.
Oh well, I'm STILL DOING IT!
(you ALWAYS beat me to the punch)
I guess "great" minds work alike!?
Ha! Anyway...
NICE POST!
love it (grumble grumble)
XOXO - Cindi

Patti said...

I planted my yearly basil--in the ground this time. Rosemary doesn't live in a pot for me either, but I'll bet tyme and a few others would work.

Patti said...

I planted my yearly basil--in the ground this time. Rosemary doesn't live in a pot for me either, but I'll bet tyme and a few others would work.

Vicki V @ blestnest.blogspot.com said...

I love my herb garden! It's not as beautiful as the ones you pictured, but the sage in particular is gorgeous year-round here in Texas. Right now, it has beautiful purple flowers! I have a Scarborough Faire garden: Parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme. Good thing you put the mint in its own pot, because it will take over and crowd anything else out. Voice of experience!

Chris at Red Gate Farm said...

Lucky you to have warm weather already! We're still in the tulip and daffodil stage here in Washington!

I love all of your herb garden inspirations. I've done the tiered pot thing when a local store sold a set of 3 graduated size, matching pots... I really liked it and kept it that way for a few seasons (well until two of them broke that is). I just picked up some white pots at IKEA... I may try this again! Thanks for the reminder of this cute idea.

~Chris

Anonymous said...

Hi Nita! I don't believe I've ever gardened at night, but that's something I may try! :)
Oh, you can copy me all day long. I'd be honored! Thanks for popping in to see me.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Anonymous said...

Gardening at night, yes. Gardening in the middle of a light rain shower, yes. I can dig in the dirt anywhere, any time! But OH, those storms last night!! The hail took off EVERY single rose bloom. I almost cried. :( Oh, and if I had to choose only ONE scent to smell for the rest of my days.... Rosemary. Without question. Lovely post, thank you!!!

Lamp Tramp said...

Love, love all those images, I am obsessed with herbs, but don't have as many as I want. Gardening at night? Never have, mostly due to the knat factor around here. Or I just can't stay up that late!

I wish I had a raised bed with a fence to protect plants from deer and rabbits. Alas, husband hates doing projects, I would have to do it myself. For now I'm content with my few pots. Thanks for the inspiration.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning dearest! What a fabulous idea; however, we have rabbits and raccoons in our urban garden and I sure wouldn't want to stick my hand in there nests!!! But my herb garden won't flourish yet; we got snow last night...ain't that a pisser....Anita

Pamma said...

I have never gardened at night...going to have to try that. Really love that tiered herb garden, too. Definitely going to have to try that! And $5 for ferns, you go girl!
No gardening today, Sunday looks better. Have fun.
I think we are almost there...SPRING!
~Pam
pamspaintparlor.typepad.com

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...

No, I have not gardened at night but I don't garden much in the day time either. Guess I should work on that!
Enjoy your weekend!

Joani said...

I don't garden at night but those pictures are awesome. It is always nice to have those familiar smells. Have a great day.