home my cottage projects book club shop featured my buttons advertise

Friday, May 28, 2010

When one door closes...


another one opens.


Have you ever had the feeling that your life was going to change whether you had anything to say about it or not? Several times in my life...things have gone into motion that I cannot stop, no matter how hard I try and believe me...I try to stop it. In the end the change happens no matter what you do and in the long run this whole change, even though it is not what you would have chosen at that moment...leads to you doing what you actually needed to do, but did not have the courage to do...or gets you out of a situation that was not healthy for you anyway.

I was let go from my full time position on Wednesday... and although it was unfair the way things went down....now I won't be working in a crappy office across town into the wee hours of the night designing for a backwards company...when I'd rather be designing for my own clients and doing my own thing. In the past several months...I've worked sitting at my desk at the office for as long as 38 hours straight several times. And it was not uncommon for me to be there till midnight several nights a week and work weekends.

I have to say I have done this kind of thing in the past when I freelanced and worked for other companies to get a big exciting creative project done and or  hit an especially tight deadline or to get myself all completely caught up on all projects so that I could have a fresh start...but I have been working like this for over a year and a half to just try to keep my head above water there. I would work all night and still be way behind on everything...because I was trying to do all design, marketing and website design and updating for 3 tv stations and 5 radio stations. My request for an assistant went on deaf ears.

I was let go because the boss thinks I am not getting enough done. I laughed in his face when he fired me because it was so ridiculous. (by the way...I've become friends with the last person that had that job...she was let go for the same reason, she said she felt sorry for me when I took her place...even though she should have been mad..because she knew what a terrible situation I was walking in to) Wait till my replacement finds out what is going on there. I now have my life back. I guess someone was looking out for me even though I had my nose to the grindstone and blinders on.

As the saying goes....


When one door closes...another one opens...

So first on the agenda is to do stuff for me...which I have put off for over two years...because I have been working so much. Of course it's scary...I don't know where the money will be coming in from for awhile. Not sure I want to jump into a corporate job again...actually..I know I don't. My wish is to do freelance design work and start painting again. 

This weekend, I'm going to try not to think too much. Then next week is the beginning of my start over...a chance to be happy and not slave away for someone who doesn't care about me. 

So now I'm looking towards a brighter tomorrow and thinking I might actually get to see some of this summer...unlike the last two. 

I feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

Thanks for listening...I needed to vent.




9 comments:

Pam @ Frippery said...

Oh Nita, I posted today about almost the same thing. I wish you well on your way through the door to your new life. I am sure you will be happier but would never have taken the chance on your own! A blessing in disguise.Hugs, Pam

HollyM said...

Nita: While I'm sorry for your loss of a guaranteed income for now, I'm delighted that you will be able to take a deep breath and imagine the possibilities of life without that ball and chain of a job you've had. I can almost feel your relief.

Better things are coming, my friend. I'm sure of it.

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Congratulations Nita!
It's hard to leave even a terrible job in times like this.
Hopefully this is a blessing in disguise, as they say. Boy the disguises blessings can take!

Happy Weekend,
Donna

Unknown said...

Nita I am so sorry about how your job ended. But the truth is that you have to be ready to walk thru that open door. It sounds like you are ready. Try to relax this weekend and enjoy being free of the stress that job was bringing to you. And hugs the weenies often.
Traci

Meander said...

Oh honey, I'm so sorry but it really truly is for the best and you know that everything happens for a reason. Just say no to the lure of the corporate world-you deserve better! Too much talent to waste on people that don't appreciate it. Hang in there and you know you're always welcome to vent to me whenever you need it!!!

Nita Stacy said...

You cannot imagine how much it helped to come in last night and read your comments of encouragement. I am doing very well when with friends because they all know how terrible the situation was...but then at home alone...of course I start wondering how things will turn out.

If I'll be ok. Of course I'll be ok...I've gone through worse than this. But when you've done your very very best and you know it was better than anyone else would have done and it still turns out badly...well...pretty discouraging. (the only thing that makes it bearable is I worked with so many that knew I was doing a fantastic job and they have been shocked by the turn of events)

Thank you all for listening and being there for me. There might be sometimes in the near future when I need further words of encouragement.

I'm really really trying to be positive about the change.

Thank you from the very bottom of my heart.

Nita

Unknown said...

Just call out whenever you need those words of encouragement. Hugs to the weenies.
Traci

KC Sheperd said...

As you know, I've been through this too, and you and I have known for far too long that we were too good for that crap. You need to work for someone who appreciates your talent, values it, and is actually NICE to you. How sad that its come to the point that we just want to work for someone who is NICE to us..I know there are better things out there for you. No use in wasting away in a place who constantly critiques & critisizes. No need in wasting time on people who aren't worth it..We will look back on these times in a few years and it will be a humorous story for us..but I'll always be thankful that we were both there, because its led to an amazing friendship! Be strong friend, you will overcome!

Nita Stacy said...

KC -
That day you were let go...I thought here we go...down that path that leads to me being fired too. When the most talented people in a company are not valued and then fired...the writing is on the wall.

There will be many good times for us ahead. So nice not to be in that frustrating situation.

We know so many smart talented people...if we could all work together...it would be so fantastic.

I'm so glad that I have you as a friend. Who would have thought when I came to work there and met you at the Xmas party that it would end up like this.
We were both so optimistic then.