home my cottage projects book club shop featured my buttons advertise

Friday, February 7, 2014

Valentine Cupcake

Red Velvet in a Minute
I eat cake all the time...freshly baked cake for one...please.
I stir up little cakes for myself and thought I'd share my recipe.
I made a quickie one in honor of Valentine's Day.
 Really, no big mystery here as to the ingredients.

Just two...

Cake mix and a little water. 

Fill the cup about half way full with cake mix and add water.
Not a lot of water but just enough to make it the consistency of cake batter...which it is.

stir well

Pop in microwave for 1 minute.

That's it!

It comes out super fluffy.
Add frosting if you like...I sprinkled on a little powder sugar today.

I  usually make it plain.

I actually prefer it to baked cake.
It doesn't have any sort of toast flavor, just pure cake.

Don't over cook, though.

I'd been making muffins with pumpkin and cake mix for years when one
day I thought....I wonder if I only did water?

Works great...no need for oil or eggs.

Sorry the photos are a little fuzzy.
Snow storm here as I'm sure you probably have there.
I was lacking in sunshine and did the best I could.

I picked up that little fabric heart last week at Jo-Ann Fabric and Crafts.
super sweet

They had the cutest Valentine stuff!
Cute Easter too!

Now I'm going to make myself a big pot of Thai Coconut Soup.
I discovered this stuff a few weeks ago.
I throw in some veggies, a little coconut milk (often I skip this)
cilantro, green onion, lemon grass and 
I've got a delicious soup.

One that makes me happy to be snowed in.

This soup is vegetable based too!

No chickens die to make this soup.

I usually pour it over a little rice.

Hope you are staying warm!

I've been snuggling with the weenies.

Last night Violet went out in the middle of the snow storm and just sat there in the middle of the 
yard staring at me.

She wouldn't come in.

Harvey ran out and immediately turned and ran back in.

Sally wouldn't even budge off the sofa.
Franklin looked out and shook his head.

But Violet! She sat out there for a good 5 minutes.
I had to walk away from the door...it was too frigid!

Finally, she came in all covered in snow.
Happy as could be.

"Well, glad you decided to come in Miss Polar Bear"... I said.

"Hmph"...she said and off to bed she went.

I don't know what made her want to sit out there in well below freezing temperatures.

sharing at


9 comments:

A Few Pennies said...

Yum on the recipes. I bought our pups some boots and they absolutely refuse to wear them; we're having zero temps right now--you'd think they'd appreciate mom's idea. Stay warm!

Unknown said...

I dont know why I haven't tried this yet. It's so easy!

Scribbler said...

You taught me all kinds of things today! I would never have thought about making cake like this but what a great idea when you just want a serving. And the soup sounds delicious! I don't think I have seen that flavor of stock in our store -- I will have to look.

Dogs are so funny -- I miss having one.

karen@somewhatquirky said...

You make me want to try this. I'll tell you a dirty little secret...I've been known to mix cake mix with oil and eat it by the spoonful. Like I can fool myself that I'm not eating cake. Pitiful huh?

Brenda Pruitt said...

I haven't had homemade cake in forever. I hadn't thought to do it individually. Great idea. (There's pink stove I put up especially for you over at my blog.)
Brenda

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I'll have to try it. Your photos look great.

Kathy

Unknown said...

I love the cake idea. I have to try it.

Lorraine said...

Wow, Nina, some great ideas!! Thanks for sharing! Happy Pink Saturday!! ~Lorraine ♥♥♥

Cindi Myers said...

Seriously? no oil or eggs?
and in a cup!
Now that's the way I like to bake.
and the less to wash, the better!
I've finally woken up from my Nyquil induced sleep.
Apparently I have Bronchitis.
I must say that 2014 has so far really sucked.
Oh well!
(I wish someone would bring me some of your soup!)
:)