home my cottage projects book club shop featured my buttons advertise

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Havisham's Halloween Tea

I'm joining in the Halloween Tea Party fun at 
This is a reposting of my last year's Halloween decor in the dining room.
I was inspired by Great Expectations.
This is Ms. Havisham's Halloween.
A spooky couple reside a top the wedding cake,
awaiting guests who will never come.
a wedding cake of tissue paper flowers will do
the only guests, mice, bats and crows
spiders too
a spooky spectacle
a reminder of a day not so happy for the bride to be
of happiness that will not be
a spooky candelabra lights the table
frozen smiles
uninviteds feast on the celebratory meal
bats swirl about the banquet
bats swirl about
the celebration that never comes
I missed "Great Expectations" last year with Helena Bonham Carter and Ralph Fiennes.
I must find it on dvd and watch this year.
Here's the trailer for it...
HBC looks very good in it but then she always is.

 - Havisham -

Beloved sweetheart bastard. Not a day since then
I haven't wished him dead. Prayed for it
so hard I've dark green pebbles for eyes,
ropes on the back of my hands I could strangle with.
Spinster. 

I stink and remember. Whole days
in bed cawing Nooooo at the wall; the dress
yellowing, trembling if I open the wardrobe;
the slewed mirror, full-length, her, myself, who did this
to me? 

Puce curses that are sounds not words.
Some nights better, the lost body over me,
my fluent tongue in its mouth in its ear
then down till suddenly bite awake. 

Love's hate behind a white veil; a red balloon bursting
in my face. Bang. I stabbed at a wedding cake.
Give me a male corpse for a long slow honeymoon.
Don't think it's only the heart that b-b-b-breaks.
Havisham by Carol Ann Duffy

Isn't this the perfect Halloween poem?

Heartbreaking, it is.


If you are visiting from Vanessa's party...be sure to check out my previous posts this month. 
There is more Halloween decor and crafts too!

sharing at


24 comments:

Phyllis @Around the House said...

Oh so scary and fun, i will have to see that movie too, the trailer looks great...I adore your decorations, those bats on the curtains and on the plates, I love that and the table is wonderful...

The Charm of Home said...

Oh, Nita! I love this! I didn't catch it last year. I have always loved GE. Awesome to see it in a Halloween setting! It is just perfect for a Halloween. Thank you for sharing at HSH!
Sherry

Sonia said...

Adorable Nita! Love how your dining room looks with all the details! Beautiful!
Miss Bloomers

Jennifer Michelle said...

This is so beautiful! I always struggle to combine the sweet and vintage with the spooky but this is so dead on! Amazing concept, I am in love.

www.broomsticksandlace.blogspot.com

Dewena said...

The poem is downright wicked! Your table is glamorously creepily beautiful. I love the "frozen smiles" of your wedding couple, they are like the stitches on Frankenstein's face!

I haven't seen HBC's version either but I bet she nails the part!

http://afancifultwist.typepad.com said...

Miss Havisham, dear to my heart.

She stuck with me as a child and never left for some reason.

I LOOOOVE your decor. It's unreal. Truly, beyond words! Did you put it up again this year? I would have loved to have been there in person. Your furnishings are amazing too.

Thank you so much for joining in the Halloween magic! love, V

DreamgirlLisa said...

Love this!

The Gossamer Tearoom said...

What a fun and spooky party!

I hope you will be able to join me at The Tearoom!
http://gossamertearoom.blogspot.com/2013/10/halloween-with-babies.html

Wishing you a Happy Holiday!

Betty

Cobblestone Prims said...

OHHHH wow i love it...thanks for inviting me..Happy Halloween and BOO to you...
Kerstin from germany

www.cobblestone-prims.blogspot.de

Chrislyn said...

Oh, how gorgeously spooky! The tissue paper cake is fabulous!! Love the bat plates--the decor--everything!
I don't know how I missed that movie. I will have to watch it. I'm a new follower on bloglovin.
Happy Halloween!

Linda said...

I love all of your spookiness and all the bats. Great post.
Please visit me:
momentsinaneye.blogspot.com

Gerushia's New World said...

Oh my goodness....all the black and white with just a pop of orange pumpkin goodness. Gorgeous beyond words! I am a sucker for black and white!

xoxo
Kim
Gerushia's New World
http://gerushiasnewworld.blogspot.com/

Laura S Reading said...

What a beautiful vignette. Black and white is very in for Halloween this year. You were a trendsetter!

Please come visit this weekend
http://lovevisiting.blogspot.com

Laura said...

What a wonderful party! I love your decor (and who doesn't love HBC?)!
blessings
~*~

Kelly said...

This is two treats in one! Your fabulous party with Such beautiful and haunting decor and this movie to keep us in the Halloween spirit! Bravo!!! Love HBC!!! Happy Halloween...

Ricki Treleaven said...

I'm loving your party, Nita. I love your idea for it! So adorable!

I love Great Expectations. I think it's my favorite of Dickens' novels. *squee*

I can't wait to send this link to my daughter. She's going to *love* it!

I will try to visit some of the other parties tomorrow. I'm really tired tonight!

xo,
RJ

Flora Cruft said...

Such a beautiful eerie party. Like you I've always been haunted by Miss Haversham (love the Carol Ann Duffy poem). And thank you for showing us your beautiful home! Love the ghoulish bride and groom and the amazing cake!

If you haven't already, do come celebrate Halloween with me at my 2 little parties:

1. Feasting with the ghosts at:
http://www.idlebakes.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/halloween.html

2. Dancing with the witches at:
http://www.kikiandthegypsy.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/all-hallows-eve.html

Unknown said...

Ooh spooky stuff :) you have a lovley home!

Thank you for inviting me :)

Heidi at: http://heidis-box-of-various.blogspot.fr/2013/10/the-story-of-mary-jane.html

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

I'm glad you reposted this tea party: it's magnificent!

Danni said...

It's amazing how you managed to turn something creepy in to something so beautiful!

Though I'm running quite late, I hope you'll drop by and visit me:
http://thewhimsicalcottage.blogspot.com/2013/10/a-haunted-halloween.html

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

I love it! Magnificent theme!

My daughter loved Great Expectations. She even did a project in which she dressed as her.

The Charm of Home said...

Nita, I am featuring this today at Home Sweet Home!

Ivy and Elephants said...

Love, love, love this gorgeous post! One of my favorite books, and the most interesting character EVER!!!
I'd love for you to share it at WIW.
Gorgeous!
Patti

Candy S said...

I have to say this is the most gorgeous Halloween post ever. I love, love, love it. I love black and white and this is so perfect. I had to sign up as a follower and I had to pin some of these beautiful pictures. Bravo, Bravo!!!

Candy