home my cottage projects book club shop featured my buttons advertise

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Vintage Ornament Disaster

Only One Broke!
Not this one...this one was the replacement.

One year, when my sister still lived at home and I lived across the country, I got a call
from my Mom letting me know that the Christmas tree had fallen over the night before.

Every year I'd look forward to unwrapping this one ornament. (see above)

I loved how you could peer inside of it to see a little mushroom under a snow covered bush.
I always imagined a little elf had just been sitting there and somehow had just 
escaped just before I looked in.

It was my favorite.

So the year the tree fell over...Mom said they were in the den when they heard a loud crash
in the living room. My sister and she ran to see how bad the damage was.

She said she was happy to report...only one ornament broke,
Daddy's blue bell which was bought the year he was born...1939...
the only ornament his parents could afford that year...was fine!

The glass birds and ornaments from my Mom's childhood tree were fine!
All the glass icicles made it through. All the special glass ornaments we'd bought together over the years were ok. 
She said they couldn't believe how lucky we were. Only one ornament broken!

"Which one?"...I asked

"Can you believe it?"... she said, "We only lost one. One on that whole tree!"
"We are so lucky. Thank goodness all of my Mom's ornaments are fine."

"Which one?"...I asked, again.

"What?"

"Which ornament?"

"Oh...that one with the mushroom in it."

"That was my favorite!"

"Oh,"...my Mom said..."We got that when Grams came to visit that year when you were a baby".

I asked, "Did she bring it from Marshall Fields?" 

My Mom was from Chicago and I was always impressed by Marshall Fields when we went to visit.

"Oh...no" she said, "that came from AMC Discount Store here in Oklahoma City".
(not a classy establishment)

me: "Oh, well it was still my favorite."

So turns out it was never an expensive ornament and obviously never had special meaning for my Mom.
She said Grams came to visit that Christmas and declared immediately that they needed many more ornaments for their tree.
They'd gone to a discount store and bought ornaments to go on their little tree.
 Many of them being Shiny Brites like on my tree now. This was the only one they bought like this.
And I loved it most and was heartbroken that it had smashed.

Then last year I thought, I wonder if I could find an ornament like that on Ebay?
The very first time I searched...I found one.

Heart mended. 

26 comments:

. said...

I'm so glad you were able to find a replacement!! :)

Don't you just love Ebay! Ebay is the only place I can find my cherished ornaments anymore too.

JunqueMagnet said...

Great story.Ebay really works when it is able to bring happy endings.Glad your search was fruitful.

mo said...

Beautiful ornament. Beautiful picture. *hugs*

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

What a sweet story! So glad you found your replacement!

Jen said...

The ornament is beautiful!
Glad you found a replacement!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Love this post Nita~ and you gotta love ebay! So glad you found your sweet ornament!

lala said...

Lovely little ornament. It's amazing how such simple things from our childhood have such an effect on us. As a young child, my job was to decorate the bottom of the tree. I decided to try my hand at the higher branches, and in doing so broke a beautiful glass ornament. I always felt bad about it because I knew it was one of my mother's favorites. Fast forward 45 years, I finally found the same ornament, two actually, and gave one to my mom and kept the other for my tree- thank goodness for ebay!!!!!

"Create Beauty" said...

What a sweet ending to your story. Don't you wonder who came up with the idea for that ornament, putting a little red mushroom inside... it might be the only "Christmas Mushroom" ever!

I loved looking at JoAnne's creations from your last post, so whimsical and delightful, it stirred my creative ideas... at least I got my glitter organized anyway!

~ Violet

Lisa ~Suburban Retreat~ said...

Dear Nina ~ What a great story with a great ending! I agree, it is a very sweet ornament with that wee mushroom tucked in. So sentimental! Thank you for your kind words during my Father's illness. You're a wonderful blog friend! xox

Carol@6WilsonBlog.com said...

When I'm in the mood for a great story, I always click over to you :)

Adam Hazlett said...

Wonderful Story Nita,
I love how the special ornaments always have a wonderful story attached to them. I've got quite a few storys hanging on my tree too. My wife gets sick of hearing them every year as I unwrap each one. You have got a beautiful tree.
I love the little houses sitting in the branches. Brilliant!
Adam

Amy Chalmers said...

That is such a great story!! I am thrilled you were able to get a replacement. Your closing line says it all! I was telling you how my tree crashed last year and I lost about 3 dozen and many were vintage from my childhood and my grandparents tree, so that was a bummer. Thanks goodness for Ebay!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

It seems everyone's tree fell over at one time or another. It was so traumatic when it happened!

Teresa said...

ebay is the best. Love your vintage tree.
Beautiful
Happy Day

Cindi Myers said...

I love that story! I love how you imagined a little elf in there. Have you ever been to Chicago shopping in the evening during Christmas time?
It's so magical. I now wish I had gone this year...maybe next!
Anyway, you really know how to tell a story.
My favorite ornament is a cheapy plastic Hallmark one of a doghouse with my Golden Retriever- Maddie's photo in it. She's in Heaven now but it brings back happy memories of her.
XOXO- Cindi

Olive said...

Oh the comforts of childhood. I am glad you found another one. The little fungi is terribly cute:-)

Unknown said...

I am glad you were able to find a simular ornament and keep your memories alive.
Traci

Pam Kessler said...

That was a sweet story. Funny that your Mom didn't hold it in high esteme like you did. Ebay can be amazing at times.

Brenda Pruitt said...

Thank goodness you found one! Love when hearts mend. I remember AMC!
Brenda

Anonymous said...

Glad you found another! It must have been hard to find.

-FringeGirl

Lamp Tramp said...

That is so amazing that you were able to find it on Ebay. What a great Christmas story and I love the mushroom ornament.

Kym said...

Oh my what a fabulous story. Some things are just meant to be. A beautiful ornament.

Melanie {The Tiny Tudor} said...

Cute story. Cute ornament. I was just seaching ebay for vintage kitchen supplies this evening- it is amazing what you can find. So glad you were able to find a replacement!

Unknown said...

Yippee for you!! That is Heather's one great fear with all of her vintage ornaments. That somehow the tree will fall. She has literally spent years collecting all of hers. So happy to hear that you were able to replace that one special ornament.

Alicia @ ProtoDoom said...

You made my tiny cold heart swell three times it's size!

Kit said...

What would we do without Ebay? I just love it, and your story about the ornie. We have many vintage ornies on our tree and it is inevitable that each year we lose one. The price we pay to enjoy them. Enjoy your mushroom orn, again. Kit