home my cottage projects book club shop featured my buttons advertise

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Pink Paper Lanterns

It's a Party!
Hanging pink lanterns makes it an instant party, doesn't it?
Tomorrow I'm going to an outdoor wedding reception where there will be paper lanterns hanging
from the trees. I am very excited about that.
Too excited, really.
My friend Kaysee got married last Tuesday night...yes an odd night for a marriage...but 
they knew they wanted the big reception to be at her parent's farm and it's an hour and a half
away so it worked to have it the next weekend.
There will be a tent and lanterns and pretty flowers and mexican food and margaritas.
Sounds like a perfect reception to me.

The wedding was lovely and included the perfect words and music.
But a huge storm rolled in just as it ended and had us all running for 
our lives just after the ceremony.

I ended up driving on North May Avenue just north of where a tornado came down.
I had no where to get under cover and ended up driving onto the 
sidewalk and up on to the front door landing of a bank to find just a little cover.
The wind was blowing sideways as hail hit my car from all sides.

My sister called to see where I was and told me the tornado was seen only a 
few blocks from where I was stuck.
She stayed on the phone with me while the storm raged around me.

I was strangely calm. I thought...well...if it blows me away...I'll deal with it then.
But luckily it only lasted about fifteen minutes and then I was back on the road headed home.

Many of my friends sustained damage to their homes and cars.
This storm covered a large portion of the city.
Not as much as it did two years ago when I had to get a new roof but still a large portion of it.

My poor car.
Why is it when you drive a car you care nothing about...nothing happens to it.
But when you finally get a car you care for...everything happens to it.

But...
I felt lucky to get home and find that my house was not hit hard.

During this...I kept thinking...living in Oklahoma is truly like living in hell.
I discussed this with my Mom on the phone later.
She agreed with me.
She said, "Why do you think the Indians did not live here?
(Remember they were moved here...they did not choose to live here.)
 "And when the Spaniards were exploring the New Continent, they just kept on going when
they saw this country with it's flat land, harsh weather and lack of vegetation."

Yep, no one wanted to live here.

That is why it was empty and only settled through the Land Run.
Yes, we don't have dust storms any more like they used to have back in the 30's.
We have lots of vegetation now because we irrigate the heck out of everything.
But....we still have such turbulent weather and it seems to be getting worse.

I remember when I was a kid we'd have hail and the biggest it would be was quarter size.
Now it's golfball and softball size.
It's crazy!

Anyway...I survived to live out another storm, another day.

sharing at


17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love paper lanterns at a party. Here's my favorite paper lantern party scene from a movie. It's from Australia: http://images.movieplayer.it/2008/11/24/wallpaper-di-australia-con-nicole-kidman-97539.jpg

Nita Stacy said...

Oh...yes...I loved that scene in the movie. When I saw that...I thought....that looks so much like I imagine the parties in "The Great Gatsby" to look and now Baz is filming "The Great Gatsby" so obviously...he was thinking it too. I can't wait to see "The Great Gatsby".

Gabriela Delworth - Instructional Designer said...

HPS!


A wedding at the beach. Love this idea!


Gabriela

Cottage and Broome said...

Love all the lanterns, so pretty. We are having wacky weather too, no tornados ( glad you are ok) but it has been raining for 2 days and it is 40 degrees, my heat is on! Feels like late October instead of June. Have fun at the reception, Laura

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!!! LOVE this post. I need to pin some of these! Hope you take photos of the wedding so we get to see more. xo

Ann said...

Have fun at this great sounding reception. The laterns will look so beautiful hanging from the trees. WOW what a storm experience, glad you found a place to ride it out. Kansas has quite a few of those too and we have been for fortunate to not have any damage.
Ann

Cindi Myers said...

Wait a minute!
BAZ is doing "The Great Gatsby"!?!
NOW I'm excited.
Love the lanterns, so pretty.
I'm VERY glad that you are OK.
That sounded SO scary.
Maybe you should send out resumes all over the country wherever you would like to live!
(Of course I myself wouldn't have the guts to do that but...)
Maybe your perfect career is in...California or Maine or Oregon or Connecticut or....I would say HERE but...sadly, it's not all that wonderful.
Sincerely, so glad you didn't get hurt out on the road.
XOXO - Cindi

Mick said...

In my opinion, Paper lanterns are the epitomizing factor of a garden party. There is a scene in the movie "The Majestic" where the town holds a dance out on "the cape". When everyone arrives the field has silk and paper lanterns hung over head swaying in the summer air. Its just a tiny background thing, but to me that is just IT!

Connie said...

Oh, Nita. I know it's not really funny but you made me laugh out loud. I'm very thankful you came through and are still healthy. You're a brave woman.

LOve the lanterns. They look so festive where ever they are.

Amy Chalmers said...

I love pink paper lanterns too Nita. I think they just feel so happy and zingy and fun! I saw an Anthropolgie window that had them..I htink of them for the store...its in the fore front of my mind these days, the store...but about the storm~you not being nervous or frightenend,...well this is the same girl that had the midnight craigslist adventure!!! if you an do that, you can get through anything!!! have fun and i wanna see the pics of the party~esp the lanterns.

Gail Griner Golden at Gail-Friends said...

Oh, you made me laugh soooo hard about Oklahoma. Girl - you need to move! I love Florida. The worst we have to deal with is hurricanes, and you can run away from them. I've been through quite a few. Love the paper lanterns, and can't wait to see the photos from the wedding reception.
Shalom,
Gail

Kit said...

Yikes! So glad you are okay. I remember a day in Denver when the hail was baseball size. Yes, very true. The damage was horrendous, but luckily we lived in Wheatridge and missed most of the storm. Had 2 tornadoes too. I think I will stay in mountain country. :) Kit

Linda Hartong said...

I am so glad you are ok. It seems you have more adventures than "the average bear".
"Ooook-lahoma, where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain
And the wavin' wheat can sure smell sweet
When the wind comes right behind the rain."

How did the wheat smell?

I went to Pier One yesterday, because of you and your blog, and was delighted at all I found. Chairs, new dishes and a wicker settee for Carmel. What a fun store!

Adam Hazlett said...

I swear, you and your dangerous adventures! Glad to hear you're okay. Aint that the truth about cars you care about!

Scribbler said...

So glad you are safe! The storms are much worse now in Alabama too -- everywhere I think -- than they were when I was a kid. This house, unlike my last one, has no basement, and that totally freaks me out every time the weather radio goes off.

Unknown said...

Hello just wanted to let you know I used one of your photos and thank you. I will paste a link below so you can check it out take care!
-holeinthefabric


http://holeinthefabric.com/2012/08/31/i-want-to-live/

Paper Lanterns said...

Ooo It looks so fabulous. I love it. Well justartifacts is online shoping cart for decor items. you can visit there for this type of paper lanterns & others.