home my cottage projects book club shop featured my buttons advertise

Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Ugly and Scary Truth about Light Bulbs!



The other night I made a trip to Walmart to get some light bulbs. I was shocked to find hardly any regular old light bulbs on the shelves. I did find some however.
I'm not switching to the new supposedly greener florescent bulbs. The light bulb has been around forever without changing all that much. It's a great design. People complain that they burn out too fast. Here's an idea.... make the metal inside a little heavier and they last much much longer. My Dad told me this one years ago..."they can make em last forever...they just don't....so we have to keep buying them". Seems simple to me.

Here's the ugly truth...the new florescent bulbs that are being pushed on us....are not good for the environment at all, actually they are going to cause much harm to the environment. Did you know they contain mercury and with millions of us using them and disposing of them....there will soon be high levels of mercury in our ground water? Everyone knows how dangerous mercury is.

I will admit....I bought one of the florescent bulbs...did not like the light it put out or the way it looked in the lamp I put it in and took it out immediately and did not buy another. Then one day, I'm reading Claudia's lovely blog The Paris Apartment and she starts posting about the harm florescent bulbs will do to the environment and how we are all being sold a bill of goods because some major corporations are making tons of money off the switch. We've all been hoodwinked.

These new florescent bulbs are not about being green at all...they are about making money for greedy corporations.

Claudia has taken the time to research the subject. Like me, originally she just didn't want to give up her old fashioned bulbs and she wanted to find a source to continue to buy them. She was horrified by what she soon learned.

Please go to Claudia's blog and learn the truth about incandescent versus florescent light bulbs.


I'm doing all I can to spread the word about how harmful these new bulbs actually are.




3 comments:

the paris apartment said...

Hi Nita,
Thank you so much for posting about this urgent topic. It's probably the last thing either of us wants to talk about on our blogs but at least it's a place we can reach others about the dangers.
On another note, I love your blog and will add you to my blogroll!
Claudia

Allison Shops said...

Me again. ;D I am hoarding regular bulbs. I buy them in bulk at Lowe's every time I go into Lowe's. I think the light bulb man at Lowe's knows me now. fyi, I do not share my stash with anyone. Not even my youngest. ;)

Anonymous said...

You are SO right.
Someone is getting rich off these dangerous mercury bulbs and someone is being paid off. A few years ago, they closed a grade school near me one day because some kid brought mercury to school with him!