home my cottage projects book club shop featured my buttons advertise

Monday, October 28, 2013

Mod Mix Monday #125

Haunted Forest
The above is a party set up in a clearing n the woods.
Perfect spot for a Halloween tea party.
I can't believe it's almost Halloween and I haven't gotten much of anything accomplished 
for the holiday.
I can blame it on my painting project though. 
I've just about got all the cutting in done and then I'll just roll on the paint.
That's the quickest part!
I didn't paint on Sunday because Mom and I went to the Gatewood Home Tour.
Gatewood is a historic neighborhood in OKC with houses similar to those in Edgemere Park.
They really get their Halloween on in that neighborhood because there are several OKC ghost stories
originating from those streets. I think the stories are all made up.
But it sure is fun.
This was  my favorite home on the tour.
It doesn't look like much on the outside. I'm sure more is planned for it but inside!
Inside, is amazing! I wish I had taken my camera and asked if I could take photos. 
You walk in to a cathedral ceiling all the way to the rafters in the living room.
To the left is a curving iron staircase leading to the upstairs juliet balcony.
Underneath the stairs, the most quaint inglenook. I've never seen anything like it.
Usually, when I tour these homes...I like them...love them even...but then say...I prefer my own. 
But this one? This one just might tempt me to move...although...it did not have the thing I do love
and that is being able to look out to the backyard.
This house also has a spooky legend. 

Supposedly, a young man built this house for his new wife back in the 20's.
But came home one day to find her in a compromising position with another man.
He spied her through the front window and shot at them.

The home has a bullet hole in the front window to this day from this shooting.

The legend goes...

The glass pane has been replaced numerous time but the hole and break in the glass keep reappearing. 
The current owners have left it and just placed a piece of plexiglass over it.

Mom and I saw it!

It's the bottom left hand pane in that window directly above.

Spooky!

Good fall stuff in this past week's Mod Mix Monday....
Here's my favorites...
Andrea of Opulent Cottage added fall color to her mantel with a a few simple touches.
The star of the mantel is the painting done long ago by her Grandmother.
Suzanne of Simply Suzanne's shared her Fall decor which includes lots of 
fairytale pumpkins and bittersweet. I never see bittersweet here in Oklahoma.
I just love it and am jealous of those of you who can find it in your state.
Isn't that a pretty vignette?
Angela of Number Fifty-Three is making progress on her kitchen reno.
It's really fun and inexpensive. Angela has great style and now her kitchen does too!
Helen of Picked and Painted created a wonderful boho/gypsy inspired stenciled table. 
You'll see the pretty stencil on the top if you click through. 
But I love the way she photographed it in the woods. It feels like leaves are falling everywhere around.
It's just magical!
Danielle of Silver Pennies was inspired by the wood plank pattern in the top of this piece.
That pattern became the Union Jack!
I love that she painted this table turquoise too.
Isn't it cheerio!


Share your new mixes below.
Remember anything old made over to be new...anything new changed up to look old.
New and old together...
Please include the Mod Mix Monday logo and back link to me.
Use a permalink to your individual post not to your entire blog.

If you link up...I'd appreciate it, if you'd follow me.

23 comments:

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Nita,
Thanks so much for the party!! I LOVE your previous post!! Amazing!!

Hugs,
Debbie

bj said...

Thanks much for your fun party each and every week. I love linking up with you.
xo bj

Vintage Paint and more... said...

Sounds like a fun home tour to go on.... thank you for hosting... Cathy

Diane | An Extraordinary Day said...

Egg on my face....
I didn't realize until I went to back link that I had already shared my dinner recipe/hospitality post last week. Please feel free to take it down. I'm so sorry. :-/

Hope your week is Extraordinary!!

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Nita, the features are so pretty and what an interesting story behind the house. Thanks for hosting! Have a grand week. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Great features, Nita! I'm loving Opulent Cottage's mantel. Thanks for hosting!

Number Fifty-Three said...

Thank you so much for featuring my kitchen! Have a great week!

Angela @ Number Fifty-Three

Laurel Stephens said...

I thought you did a LOT for Halloween (on your blog) and I loved all of it. That sounds like a great house tour, bullet hole and all. Thanks for hosting, Nita, and have a great week!

Andrea at Opulent Cottage said...

Thanks for featuring my mantel :) I can't wait to see your room all freshly painted! xoxo

Cottage and Broome said...

I loved the bullet hole story, how wonderfully spooky! Thanks for hosting, Laura

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Love your post and your features.
Joy

Tuula @ Thrifty Rebel Vintage said...

Thanks so much for hosting the party!

Unknown said...

Love that stenciled table you featured Nita! Thank you for another fun party!

Adam Hazlett said...

Nita, Tell them you're a reporter for "Mod Vintage Life" and get back in there to photograph that home. I'm sure they would be thrilled to have you shoot some pictures!

the cape on the corner said...

what a wonderful tablesetting in the woods!

Simply Suzannes at Home said...

Suzanne of Simply Suzannes at Home

Thank you so much for the lovely feature, Nita!
And thank you for hosting another fun and inspirational link party.
Happy Fall,
Suzanne

Simply Suzannes at Home said...

Suzanne of Simply Suzannes at Home

Thank you so much for the lovely feature, Nita!
And thank you for hosting another fun and inspirational link party.
Happy Fall,
Suzanne

Denise @ secondtimearoundfinds said...

Thanks for the party Nita. Have a great week.
Denise

Tarnished Royalty said...

Great party, Nita. Your first photo makes me want to host a tea party in the woods, how fun wood that be! ~Ann
Tarnished Royalty

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Nita, the tour sounds so fun. Loved the spooky story about the window. Great features and happy to be joining the party.
hugs,
Jann

Debra@CommonGround said...

oh, I'd love to see inside shots of that adorable home. just linked up, thanks for hosting, Nita!!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for hosting! Please join me for Friday Follow Along Party every Friday @ http://thecraftiestallie.blogspot.com/

Jemma@athomewithjemma said...

What beautiful features-thanks for hosting!
Jemma