home my cottage projects book club shop featured my buttons advertise

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Greenhouse Nursery

the GREENHOUSE
Last Sunday, I drove to Norman, Oklahoma to pick up my Craigslist hutch soon to be potting bench.
I can't make a trip to Norman without visiting my most favorite garden center....ever...The Greenhouse.
This place is full of garden inspiration like you never see at one of the discount garden centers.
You'll find plants here that you'll never find at more common locations.
And the variety of pots, planters and statuary is mind boggling.
I'm only showing a bit of it here.
This koi pond lies in the shade of the biggest cottonwood tree I have ever seen.
Unusual statuary abounds
Koi the size of dachshunds swim below the surface of the pond.
A gentle waterfall at the opposite end of the pond provides a sparkling relaxing backdrop for the garden's beauty.
This is that huge cottonwood tree again.
The front shop carries gift items for the home and garden.
Loved these big cow paintings.
Fairy garden supplies are to be found here.
Another pond outside the back of the shop.
Just a small sampling of the large gurgling pots.
This vignette is in one of the many greenhouses.
It's full of tropicals now but earlier in the spring it was filled with rose bushes of every color.
Look how easily this patio was made. Just pavers laid on the ground and surrounded by potted plants.
I could do this.
I love this large fountain topped with petunias and encircled with boston ferns.
Another magical fountain.
a large flower filled urn
St. Francis statues
Chickens can be found underfoot. 
This dear family was perfectly happy to have me chat with them and take their photo. 
They acted like it was the most natural thing to happen.
Who says a pig doesn't belong in the garden? 
There used to be a real live large pig living in one of the greenhouses. 
Unfortunately, she died of old age and no longer is there. 
But you'll find cats and all kinds of birds and chickens about. 
There is usually a large dog in the gift shop.
Talavera pottery available
Down the garden path towards more greenhouses.
More of the pots available.
Love that wall color behind these pots.
Here we near the back greenhouse.
This greenhouse is loaded with annuals.
A large fan keeps the ferns cool in the back greenhouse.
I came home with one of these ferns. These ferns are perennials.
I'm hoping I have the one I bought a long time.
Rows and rows of all kinds of succulents. What a great resource! 
I didn't know there was a place locally to find them in such quantity and variety.
Prices are good.
So many ferns everywhere and they are all so healthy.
At the big discount garden centers the ferns are all dying about now.
Not here...they are very green and happy.

Isn't this a fantastic nursery? I just had to share one of my favorite places with you.
It's a great place to find garden items that you cannot find anywhere else. 
For that matter it's just a great place to spend an afternoon taking in the beauty.

sharing at

25 comments:

Betsy Speert said...

OMG!!!
I loved the whole place.
Just looking at your pictures has given me an idea that will address a problem area in my terrace. When I fix it, I will GIVE THE CREDIT TO YOU!

ANNE said...

Beautiful place - love that first photo!!!

Amy Chalmers said...

Loved this garden center~I do enjoy walking around most good ones. They are so inspiring! I can't wait to see you get your potting bench in action.

Belinda said...

I love the silkies (the fuzzy chickens)! I had some of those when I was little. Looks like a fun place to take a road trip to!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh!! This place is amazing and I never even knew it existed. I just love any kind of business where they have animals. I know you do too! Those koi were huge! I told the girls I wanted a big old turkey at the barn. They thought I was nuts. And chickens. Can't wait to see you in October. Be sure to grab me and say Hi! We're all super excited here!

Squeak said...

What a gorgeous place! I want that crocodile (or is he a 'gator?)!

There's a similar garden centre that I visit in Vancouver. It carries unusual plants that are unavailable elsewhere along with the best examples of more common plants, all of which are laid out in interesting combinations with pottery, statuary and fountains. The nursery is laid out as a series of "rooms", both indoors and out. In addition, there's always an amazing selection of orchids, which the owner breeds himself. All in all, a delightful experience!

Brenda Pruitt said...

I do miss my ferns. I don't think I ever went there and I lived there forever! How did I miss this place?
Brenda

Ricki Treleaven said...

What a wonderful nursery. I could spend lots of time (and $$$) there! Lots of inspiration in this post, and I am feeling a wee bit happier about our garden because we have been under a flash flood warning....we have been getting lots of rain!!! :D I am inspired to play in the garden if it clears up tomorrow.

Great post, Nita!

Sandy said...

I'll be in OKC next month for a few weeks and Norman is like next door to there.. I'll be sure to go to this Nursery but how will I get it all back to Florida?
Thanks for the heads up.. what a place!
Sandy

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

What a great nursery. I need that fake alligator to keep the snakes away from our pond. Love the cow paintings!

Olive said...

I could spend serious time and money there Nita.

Sonia said...

Oh Nita..thanks so much for sharing this greeenhouse! I have lived in OKC for almost 30 years and didn't know about it! Well worth the trip to Norman~ Going to put it on my list especially for fall planting! Just beautiful!
MIss Bloomers

K @ Aurora Blythe said...

Totally see why you cannot resist the urge to drop in whenever you are in town. This post was brim-ful of lovely garden inspiration! Wish I lived near a store like this!

Bliss said...

Not sure it's appropriate to say nice ferns to anyone but a nursery owner!

~Bliss~

NanaDiana said...

My gosh- What a beautiful place! Amazing plants and plantings and ideas. A little bit of heaven on earth- xo Diana

Cyndia said...

I discovered The Greenhouse the last time I was in Norman with my husband- he has to go there every year or so for classes at the Postal Training Facility. It's a fantastic place, and it reminds me to save room in my van to bring something special home the next time we visit!

Unknown said...

I love a good visit to the a wonderful nursery and this one looks fabulous.
Traci

Athena at Minerva's Garden said...

What a glorious nursery, and I loved the fluffy chicken family!

Pam @ Frippery said...

What a fantastic nursery. Those locally owned businesses beat out the big stores any day. We had two beautiful nurseries nearby that have shut down in the past several years. They always had everything you could think of. Gifts, home decor and native plants so lush and healthy. Too much competition from the big box stores. So sad. I am glad to see your local nursery thriving. Those ferns are gorgeous.

Ivy Lane said...

Beautiful post! I LOVE the gurgling pots!!!

Sara said...

Beautiful!!! <3

Cindi Myers said...

OK, I AM addicted. You know that I am trying to scale down my gardening but just looking at these photos gets me excited! My dream would be to have my backyard "jungle" someday look like that, complete with garden paths and pond. Thanks so much for the virtual trip! :)

(wish me luck on doing the minimalist thing in the front yard! LOL!)
XOXO - Cindi

Tara Dillard said...

Few of this type nursery left.

Be fun to do a bus tour across the South, shopping those left.

Garden & Be Well, XO T

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

Thanks for taking us along. It was fun to see everything!
Liz

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

What a fantastic nursery! We hahve something similiar nearby but not NEARLY as bog or as many choices. Thanks so much for sharing. I love gardening so this was a treat to see. XO, Pinky