home my cottage projects book club shop featured my buttons advertise

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Edgar Allen Poe

Edgar and a Little Spook
Just a little more Halloween craftiness.
These were my supplies for this candle holder.
A simple candle holder from Michael's, spray adhesive and Martha Stewart glitter.
I filled the glass holder with paper towels and taped up to the edge on the inside 
to keep glitter from getting on the inside.
Then I sprayed the whole thing and let it dry just a minute to let the glue be tacky...not wet.
Then sprinkled with glitter in silver and smoky quartz. 
I alternated colors and rubbed the glitter all around with my hands so that it covered 
every bit of the surface and gives a surprisingly smooth texture.
I printed Edgar out on photo paper from my computer and added striped tissue paper 
around the edge that I crimped into a ruffle as I glued. 
I then put black glitter around the edge of the photo.

The bat trim also came from Michael's. 
They had little packages with several Halloween trims included. 
I also got the cutest little orange pom poms. Not sure what I'll do with those yet. 
Probably will use next year.
Inside I put a led candle.
I got these at Big Lots yesterday. I hadn't seen them before. 
They are larger than the usual tea lights. 
Which is good because they sit up taller and put the light higher up in the candle holder.
And no switch on the bottom, instead there is a sensor that you blow on to turn it off and on.
Amazing...just like a real candle. 
I suppose these would not work well outside but inside they are perfect.
While I was taking photos in the living room of my new candle...
I became aware of a strange presence. A wicked little soul.
An uninvited visitor.
A friendly spirit perhaps....but one that plays tricks just the same.
Oh...he's becoming more visible.
Eeeeek! 
There he is. 
It's the Great Newman!
Perhaps he's not so scary.
I had several people write me and ask about my Halloween wreath.
They asked if I made it.
I sort of did.
I found the center black glitter wreath design last year at Garden Ridge. 
It's flat plastic covered in black glitter.
I just loved everything about it.
But of course, it alone hanging on my door did not show off the design.
So I bought a styrafoam flat wreath form at Michael's. 
I wrapped it in orange satin ribbon and hot glued it in place. 
Then hot glued the black wreath on top of the orange ribbon covered one.
I then attached those on top of a grape vine wreath.
Then outlined that with a garland of orange berries that I'd had for several years.
With some work, you could copy this look by drawing a wreath design on cardboard 
and then cutting it out with an exacto and covering with black paint and black glitter. 
It would be some work...but it could be done. 

I'll show my outside decorations tomorrow.

Sharing at


19 comments:

Unknown said...

It is getting pretty scary at your house, it is a good thing you have Newman to keep watch on that witch. He looks so cute. I can't wait to see your outdoor hauntings.
Traci

Kathy said...

I love the wreath and I really love the pictures of Newman

Olive said...

Poe's works could be a whole post. Never more quote the Raven...and so on. Love the candle and the wreath. You and Newman are about too cute!

Moe said...

I love your decorations. I wish I could decorate more, but Halloween is three days away....

I also loooove that lamp!

Great post!

Unknown said...

Silly Newman! He's such a cutie. Love that c. holder. I need to hit Big Lots and see if I can find some of those. Like tomorrow! Thanks for sharing.

Envymycooking said...

If you would ever like new recipes or would like to be featured than please come on over to our blog and please check us out! We also have a give away going on right now and a apron going up tomorrow!! yah. thanks for letting me stop by your blog.

La said...

Love the Poe candle and your vignette. Newman looks ferocious! :o) He is adorable. La

Blondie's Journal said...

The candle is awesome~you did a fantastic job!

Love that sweet Newman...what a cute face he has! :-)

XO,
Jane

Lina Thomlinson said...

Love that candle! Great tribute to Poe. Saw your link at Sawdust & Paper Scraps. I've been poking around your blog and really enjoy your sense of style. I'm now a follower!

Diane Irvine Armitage said...

I have been soooo enjoying your month of Halloween on your blog! I love the Edgar Allen Poe candle and especially your large photo cutout witch - great ideas! Your house looks deliciously spooky :-) Have a wonderful All Hallows Eve!

Cindi Myers said...

Love that Newman!

You are SO crafty! I have looked all your creations. They always have an elegance about them!
XOXO - Cindi

Decor To Adore said...

What a spooktacularly beautiful post! (I have a dox too!)Have a Happy Halloween.

Brenda Pruitt said...

I wish we had a Garden Ridge. I'd have to drive to Dallas, a 90 mile drive. First I want to say that I LOVE your Halloween decor! And that lamp is beautiful, even though it's not spooky. Love the wreathe too.
Brenda

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I love your candle, and your whole vignette! I love Newman most of all LOL...I am a new follower! Hopped over from Vintage Inspiration!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

I love that candleholder Nita~ it is fantastic. The vignette with the skull and black bird next to it is great and I love the silver glitter!! Newman is soo cute! He looks like such a sweetie! Thanks so much for joining Feathered Nest Friday and sharing this. Looking forward to seeing the outside decorations too!! :)

very merry vintage style said...

Oh your Newman is a blast!

Anonymous said...

What a cute puppy! Love him! Also the candle project was very inspiring! I have to try that! it looks so wonderful, and it's very affordable. Great idea! Thank you for sharing! Greetings from Claudia from FrenchCountry

Lindy said...

Newman just wanted to see what was up! Love the decorations but it was hard to not look at that lamp of yours!

WhisperWood Cottage said...

Love the ruffled edge! Thanks for linking up to The "Autumn Décor" Talent Scouting Party at WhisperWood Cottage!