home my cottage projects book club shop featured my buttons advertise

Monday, November 22, 2010

Latest Issue of RUE

Change of Thought

Have you seen the November/December issue of RUE Magazine? 
If you haven't, read this and then go there now.
It is page after page of beautiful rooms that have me rethinking my whole design aesthetic.

Like the room above.
It's so 70's into 80's.
Something I never thought I'd like but look how great this room looks and believe me the whole house is this grand.
source: RUE Magazine
All the things in this house if I saw them at a thrift store...I'd think...that is too much.
That looks so 70's or so 80's.
But look at it all combined here and it just looks fantastic.
source: RUE Magazine
Same house...even those chandeliers look good.
How is that possible?

source: RUE Magazine
This is from a different home.
This is more my style but look how dramatic that sink is with the black walls.
I would never think to put black walls with that sink.
I love the sink...and would have done light walls with it.
But wow is all I can say with the dark walls.
Really love it.
source: RUE Magazine
Of course I'd sleep like a princess in this room.
It's so feminine but when your break down the actual elements in the room, 
they have very masculine lines.
And that is what makes it a great room...it's pink...but not too girlie.
I'm loving it.
source: RUE Magazine

Oh my! Who ever thought brass could look this good.
Normally, I hate any wall hanging thingy like this of brass...but look at it here.
This office is scrumptious.
That metal office chair reupholstered in gold velvet....brilliant.
I would never have thought I would like that.
I actually have a fabulous chrome chair that has been sitting here waiting for me to do something with it.
This is definitely an idea.

source: RUE Magazine
Then there is this office too...
Rustic with black and white and gold gild.
Plus white plastic! 
A-ma-zing.

source: RUE Magazine
How about something sleek, subtle and gray.
I am loving that simple painting on the wall.
source: RUE Magazine
I am not a fan of taxidermy or antlers in a room.
But I think these are very fun.
Twig Antlers
And no animals were hurt in the decorating of this dining room.
source: RUE Magazine
Well, of course I love this.
I would never have thought THAT shade of pink would work so well on the walls of a living room.
Oh...but it does.
source: RUE Magazine
Now this room I would expect to love.
silver and periwinkle and velvet
Some of my favorite things.
See that silver pheasant?

I have that!
I love him and he appears here and there in my house from time to time.
A friend gave him to me.
Don't I feel special to have something that is in this gorgeous room.
source: RUE Magazine

Again an unexpected room I loved.
Of course I adore the vintage inspired trees but that round rock wall and the furniture?
I never would have thought I'd like that but when you see the whole article on this,
you'll see how great it looks.

One of my friend's parents lived in a house like this back in the mid 80's.
They would have a big Christmas party around a big white flocked tree and there were brass accents everywhere.
At the time, I thought it so gauche.
(my parents were all about antique and tasteful)

But I guess it was actually pretty hip.

Anyway, the point of this post is...RUE Magazine is so awesome it is making me rethink what I like.
And that is what great editorial does...right?...Make you question what you thought you knew?

RUE magazine is the bomb.
Go check it out if you haven't.

(Now I'm wanting to get out all my tinsel trees.....)

8 comments:

Carey Brown Strombotne said...

I love those twig antlers, such a great idea! And I am completely drooling over the office with the white desk, gold velvet chair with the pop of turquoise! Love itat

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...

I was just thinking to myself the other day, wow, all of these bold patterns are starting to remind me of the 70's and 80's. When the decor we grew up with comes back in vogue, it must mean we're getting old. I do love all of this though.

Olive said...

I have never seen RUE magazine before but these rooms are inspiring. I like the first one and the office. Good design is good design.

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

I haven't visited Rue yet this month - but I love the images you have chosen. Everything old is new again!

The House of Healy said...

Rue-full! I hadn't heard of this, but L-o-v-e. I'm in love with that black bathroom. I've been wanting to do a black room with a lot of white built-ins as a den someday.

Seems a lot of Baroque in half these rooms too. When done as a little, rather than in whole, I adore it. Same thing with modern plastic. I sometimes wonder what it would be like to have a cottagey kitchen with an eat-in nook, but have a bigger version of that white plastic table for breakfasting.

And I want some ghost chairs like you couldn't imagine.

Thanks for this lovely tour and for introducing me to Rue.

Nancy's Daily Dish said...

Wow, what amazing spaces! The sink set against that black wall is dynamite. And, you're right about those chandeliers...they look great in the room but by themselves I'd never have look twice.

Fun post!

Nancy

Carrie said...

Rue is the new Domino ;) I was just at Barnes and Noble and didn't see this magazine... must go back and get it! Thanks SO much for sharing!!! Let a new obsession begin! (Love it!)

Nita Stacy said...

Carrie -
Rue is only available online through the link I posted.