home my cottage projects book club shop featured my buttons advertise

Saturday, June 1, 2013

Metal Garden Furniture

Making it Cozy
I have a thing for iron scrolly garden furniture.
I have a little on my front porch.
I love it's pretty lines but it does seem a bit cold.
I've been watching Craigslist for weeks looking for furniture for my back deck.
This vintage set has been on there for for quite awhile.
It just seems a bit cold...doesn't it?
I'm guessing others think so too so it hasn't sold.
But browsing Pinterest I've found many examples of how you can take the plainest of garden benches
and soften them up. Make them inviting. 
Just look at that space above...it's just begging you to take a nap.
The only thing that makes it so is the addition of a quilt.
Here a daybed gets the treatment.
Another daybed...complete with floral cushions and matching pillows.
Daybeds seem such a luxury in the garden.
Here just a plain chaise becomes the ultimate garden bed.
So romantic with the addition of pillows.
Just a common garden bench becomes the ultimate place to spend the afternoon
when pillows and quilts are added.
And this is just your ordinary park bench but cover it in romantic pillows
and it becomes something special.

Looking through this makes me want to just gather up all the odds and end pillows 
I have around the house and throw them on my bench.

As it stands right now...I keep having to retrieve my outdoor pillows from the yard.
Last night was a big night of storms in Oklahoma City.

Again they skipped around me.
Thank goodness.
But it was really a hairy night.

Even the weather men are ready for the spring weather to end.
They are worn out from reporting it.

Last night I thought one of our old time weather guys...Gary England...
the one everyone listens to. I thought he was going to have a stroke on air...he was so hyped up.

We had tornado warnings and sirens going for hours plus
driving rain, hail and flash flooding.
I never lost power but many did. 

My dogs were never scared though...they take it all in stride.

I called my Mom...she had a different set of storms forming over her
and her dogs were barking and barking at the sound of the tornado sirens.

My dogs pretty much ignored it...
Franklin kept watch of the weather at the window.

Here's a good video of some storm chasers that got too close to one of the tornadoes yesterday.


See you Sunday for an Open House!

16 comments:

vintage girl at heart said...

Last night was scary! The wall clouds here in Norman looked like something out of a movie. Running to get to my sons basement across town was intense. I love Gary England and when he gets concerned we do too!
Glad you & your Mama are okay.
The gardens with the patio furniture all look lovely. Trash to treasure.
Enjoy the weekend. Tornado free I hope.

Debra@CommonGround said...

Nita, so glad you and your home are OK, this stuff needs to be over with. I know you all must be worn out. We've had horrible storms but no tornadoes. I'm ready for some of those lazy days relaxing!

Sonia said...

Glad you and your Mom and doggies are all okay! We are too. Love your photos and I would love to have any of those garden benches!

Miss Bloomers

Cindi Myers said...

OMG! Nita!
I had to watch that video twice!
That was terrifying! What were those big things hitting the windshield? I swear one looked like a car. Those poor guys.
I'm so glad you and yours are safe and sound. :)
We had storms the other day (nothing like what you had but) I was about to leave work and the power went off and the wind and rain was awful but I ran with my dogs to the van and left. Everyone thought we were crazy but I just wanted to be home. Nora was frantic, bouncy off the windows but by the time we reached the bridge the storm was behind us.
Oh, about the iron garden furniture. I don't think that it's because it's too cold. I think it's just too new. You need something weathered and rusty I think. And then you could throw shabby chic on it and it would be you. Maybe you could find something at an estate sale?
Again, so glad you are OK.
xoxo - Cindi

Dewena said...

I am so happy you and the weenies, and your mom and hers, are okay. Now all of my OK friends are accounted for but I know there are families there grieving today.

Your post is so beautiful. I love, love, love each one of them and am a lover of that old iron garden furniture and the ways they are softened up with all the pillows and quilts. I have one question: Don't any of them have birds? Birds that fly over constantly and leave their calling cards? Do they take them in daily? Wash them weekly? Of are all the birds just flying over my house and yard because we feed them so darn much?

WendyMcLeodMacKnight said...

Thinking of you all during this awful time! Love this post - I have a lovely bench with a nice green floral cushion on it - so nice!

Thehouseofhampton said...

Hi Nita,
I was so enjoying your post. Lovely and relaxing. Then I focused on what so many families are having to deal with today. I'm glad you are your family doing well. Looking forward to your next post.
Sharon

Connie said...

It is lovely and relaxing. I could live in your pictures and be completely happy.

Thought of you when I heard the news last night and said a prayer for you. So thankful you and yours are safe.

Ricki Treleaven said...

So thankful you and yours are safe, my dear. I know y'all are weary from the horrible weather.

This post is just what I needed today. I have a board on Pinterest called Shabby CHic Outdoor Spaces, and I'll be adding a few of these images to it!

Take care! And I do love iron garden furniture, too.

xo,
RJ

Betsy Brock said...

Lovely outdoor spots...I could anjoy myself on any of those!

Glad you're ok...that video is insane!

Melissa said...

I'm glad you guys are safe and sound. I like the scrolled iron furniture, and you're right. It can easily be softened up. Just don't stick it in a dark corner or something like that.
I like that it is usually airy and open. Keeps from blocking things off in your yard or closing off space.

www.mysoulfulhome.com said...

Sooo very pretty & all the cozy comfort is making me sleepy! But those storms would keep me awake! So glad you are safe. Having a brick house is smart my friend.
Kelly :)

Unknown said...

These pictures are lovely. I want to pin them all!
stylefromthesticks.blogspot.com

Mick said...

I ADORE vintage lawn chairs and benches! I collect them, all types and have about 34 different kinds and 40 chairs in all. Right now I'm going with a workman's holiday "Shabby Chic" look (I desperately need to repaint all of them) But as long as they are sturdy and rock to and fro they are fine by me!

0s0-Pa said...

That looks so relaxing! I can't wait until summer is here and I can get some R&R in my outdoor wood furniture! :]
-Jon

Life is Beautiful said...

i found this garden furniture are attractive. i want to buy Outdoor Furniture Perth recently.