home my cottage projects book club shop featured my buttons advertise

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

White in the Cottage

Details
This is kind of old news in my house...but I had these photos and hadn't shared and 
I was busy watching the weather yesterday and crouching in the hall with the dogs every time 
the tornado siren went off. Because of this, I didn't get anything accomplished yesterday - at all.
So I thought I'd share this today.....
This is a detail of one of my buffet lamps in the dining room.
I've had several people write me asking about the lamps on my buffet.
I bought them at of all places Hancock Fabrics about four years ago.
These lamps originally were a much darker and speckled beige color.
I painted them my favorite white spray paint color -
Krylon Dover White, then shabby chic'd them
and wired a few crystals to each. Off came the fabric on the shades.
I wanted sconces in the dining room on either side of the doorway.
I found these sconces at Hobby Lobby. They were already painted the perfect shade of white.
Because I don't have electrical in the wall, I use battery operated candles.
I added the crystal ropes and drops.

Battery operated candles truly are a great invention.

15 comments:

Chrissie said...

You are so creative! I love all of your lighting and that's a great idea about the battery operated candles too.

Cindi Myers said...

I love how you are able to take the ordinary and make it extraordinary. :)

Sunny Simple Life said...

I always love to see pics of your home.

Brenda Pruitt said...

This is all so beautiful! Love the detail in that piece of furniture. That photo belongs in a magazine.
Brenda

Amy Chalmers said...

Hi Nita! I love those shadeless lamps. They look great after what you did to them. Glad you are ok after yesterdays tornado in OKC!!

said...

love your style!! so many great ideas for my new home!!

http://christinaprindle.blogspot.com/

Olive said...

You are the crystal Queen. I will be spray painting a few things white soon and had no idea what was the best white and now I do. Thanks Nita.

Teresa said...

Beautiful....as always =)
I love white too.
Have a great day

Unknown said...

While I am sorry you got nothing done due to the tornado warnings I am glad you and all the weenies are okay. Hopefully there is no damage to your home, I understand the winds are pretty strong even if a tornado doesn't touch down.

Love all the white in your dining room.

Traci

The enchanted home said...

Love how anything, no matter how small just looks so much better in white. You have the midas touch.....love it. You really know how to add those special little touches that make all the differenc and as they say its all in the details....and it shows!

JoAnn S. said...

glad you are ok, the devastation is tremendous hugs JoAnn

Cindy said...

Hello sweet lady,
I adore those lamps of yours and what I love most is that there is no fabric on the shade! You do come up with the greatest ideas.
Also the sconces are lovely, perfect for your MODVINTAGE style. I love it!
I'm so glad you are safe!!!
Hugs, Cindy

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

I'm so sorry that you are going through all of this, I'm praying for your safety and well being.

I love your lamps and even more the bare shades. The table on which they are sitting is gorgeous!

Your home is full of so many pretty, romantic looking things.

hugs
Sissie

Bring Pretty Back said...

Thank you for the lamp tour! Love em all! And so glad you are ok!
Have a pretty day!
Kristin

Ricki Treleaven said...

Nita, the buffet lamps are lovely. I am glad you are okay after the storms!