home my cottage projects book club shop featured my buttons advertise

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Open House Sunday

California Cottage
Built 1924 in the Hancock Park neighborhood of Los Angeles.
Lots of charm with this one. Who wouldn't want a big fountain in the front yard?
Just outside the front gate....a row of every greens. 
I'm sure this has been planted as a barrier to the street but it sort of resembles a Christmas tree farm. That's a lot of trees! 
very traditional outside...leads to ....
 A not so traditional inside.
What do you think of this furniture? It's not expected for this interior...but I like it.
All except the big wooden Indian in the corner. 
There are traditional bits too. 
 I like the wall color but I would have continued it up through the curve at top to the ceiling. 
Painting it this way makes the room look short which it is not.
a very nice original Batchelder art tile fireplace. 
The modern lines continue into the dining room. I love the color of this room. 
I like the sputnik light fixture in over the table.  
 The kitchen is a nice little galley one. I'd prefer wood floors and white subway tile for the backsplash.
I think all that small mosaic tile makes it look way too busy.
Washer and dryer are in the kitchen and that is weird but some times you do what you have to do. 
All in all I like this kitchen...I just think the backsplash is too busy and too dark. 
 cheery little breakfast nook
a lovely sitting room
 the modern vibe continues with this bed...but the rest of the room is full of antiques.
Notice the lights hanging over the vanity between the two windows.
I like that.
Oh...this is what I want...french doors from my bedroom to the backyard! 
 The bathroom is very nice....but all wrong for the house. Again...the tile is too much!
The bathtub is pretty. But I don't care for anything else. 
 office with more french doors to the backyard
 I like this bathroom better even though it's small. 
 Now here is where the living is done!
No complaints here about this outdoor space.
 I love the touches of orange.
 Plenty of room to party

 Those look to be the original doors on the garage.
That's quaint but not very practical.
Oh...another fountain....I like that. 
a lovely green serene space

Oh...a patio and fire pit way out back provides another spot to party. 
 You could entertain quit a large group on the deck, in the backyard and on this patio.

I wish my own backyard was this pulled together, maybe it will be one day.


see the full listing here

Have a lovely Sunday.
It's time to work in the yard here, not that I will be doing that.
But it's time for it.

13 comments:

Connie said...

I like the lines of the house but they are difficult to see with the gate and trees in the way.I suppose privacy is needed.

All the brown business in the kitchen between the wall backsplash and the countertops would make me crazy. The cabinets are pretty and crying for the surroundings to lighten up.

The outside is something special and will be a big selling feature for the house.

Claudia Fabiana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Claudia Fabiana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Claudia Fabiana said...

Great little house in LA. I love the back yard too!

ciao!

Thehouseofhampton said...

I love when you show homes in LA. The green wall is definitely for privacy. I would have liked it more if the homes fixtures stuck more to the time period of the home. Overall it's a great house in a great location!
Sharon

Cindi Myers said...

It's nice but not my style really.
Too much brown.
Too much foliage, even if it's needed.
There's nothing really wrong with it but I wouldn't want it.
But thanks for doing the Sunday Open House! I always enjoy it!

LANA said...

I would have preferred to see the inside decorated in keeping with the origins of the home. It strikes me more as a craftsman/tudor/storybook kind of house and I would have done more of a restoration. You were correct about the tiles, subway would have been more authentic. I love that fireplace.

Donna said...

Another great house. The furnishings aren't my style but to each their own. You're right about the mosaic tile. It would give me a headache every time I entered the kitchen or bath so it would have to go.
It looks like they're planting arbor vitae to establish a hedge. It might be necessary if the house sits on a busy road but it takes away from the charm of the house. However, the back yard is fabulous. You could throw a heck of a party on that deck.

Donna said...

Another great house. The furnishings aren't my style but to each their own. You're right about the mosaic tile. It would give me a headache every time I entered the kitchen or bath so it would have to go.
It looks like they're planting arbor vitae to establish a hedge. It might be necessary if the house sits on a busy road but it takes away from the charm of the house. However, the back yard is fabulous. You could throw a heck of a party on that deck.

Andrea at Opulent Cottage said...

Almost everything about the interior of this house makes me want to cry, but that back yard sure makes up for it! The front is really pretty too, but I bet it's on a very busy street. Lots of homes here have the stackable W/D in the kitchen, cause there's no other place for it to go. But why why why do people put all of that dark brown tile in kitchens and baths, ugh. I guess if you can spend over $1M on a house, you can cough up another $20K to replace the ugly tile :) Another good find, Nita!!

Denise @ secondtimearoundfinds said...

What a great house tour.
Have a lovely week.
Denise

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

This is a nice house and it just helped me for my kitchen. Mosaic backsplashes are lovely, but if there's a big surface they tend to look busy. I'll remember that!

karen@somewhatquirky said...

Man there were some really questionable design decisions in this house! I'm sure it is fine, but I couldn't see past the bad stuff. But that outdoors! WOW!