home my cottage projects book club shop featured my buttons advertise

Friday, July 1, 2011

Backyard Makeover

Shannon's Backyard
My friend, Shannon has been redoing her whole backyard.
Last year she tore out all the old weeds, bushes and plants and created new planting beds.
She also had a new stone patio built complete with pergola.
This year she added an outdoor stone fireplace.
The new grass is still coming in.
A couple of Saturdays ago...she had a breakfast party to thank all her neighbors for putting up 
with all the noise and mess while she redid her backyard.
I helped set up that morning and snapped these photos of the yard and pergola.
I still need to take more because I had to shoot around the party people.
Shannon has a really big yard and there is lots of space in those planting beds. 
This year she had large rocks brought in to add to the landscape.
She had the landscaping guys put in all the major trees and then she is busy filling in between
with smaller bushes and flowers.
This arch will be covered in yellow roses one day. 
They already are growing well up the sides.
Her next door neighbor, Marge, says that she sees Shannon pulling in her drive unloading 
more and more plants every weekend.
This is quite the project...filling all of these beds in with color.
This little shed came with the house. 
She uses it for storage but wouldn't it be a great start to a little garden conservatory? 
I'd be cutting holes in those walls and adding windows and doors.
But then....where to store gardening stuff? 
The side yard, full of hostas and hydrangeas and roses.
This weeping willow has already grown a lot since last year.
She had large specimen trees brought in...so this yard will look mature pretty quickly.
As a child I always wanted to live where a weeping willow grew. 
I thought only princesses had weeping willows. 
Guess Shannon is a princess, now.
Shannon has a thing for pigs. Here she has added one to the landscape.
Here is her beautiful new stone fireplace.
She looked on the internet and printed out ones she liked and then told 
her stone guy to make it like this one but a little less wide and taller.
I'm sure I'll show more of this whole area soon. 
I'll take photos one day when I don't have to shoot around people.
The patio is full of groupings of plants like this. 
I have yet to get to see the fireplace lit up. 
But she has made s'mores on it once before it got too hot outside.
I can't wait to experience a fire outside on her patio this fall.
It's going to be a great space to enjoy many seasons in the garden.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Nita! Your friends yard is looking so beautiful! Love the outdoor fireplace area!
Be a sweetie and happy 4th!
Shelia ;)

Debby said...

Her yard is beautiful. A
lot of work. I grew up with a weeping willow tree. You don't see them much anymore. Ours really played havoc with our septic system. We lived in the country. Hopefully hers won't

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Her yard is stunning. Beautiful plants and the fireplace is gorgeous. Hugs, Marty

the gardener's cottage said...

gorgeous. and it is going to look even better in about 2 or 3 years. all those trees are going to look amazing.

Kelsie from Our Country Home and Studio Photography said...

It looks great...I love a weeping willow too...I can't wait to plant one here out in the middle of the field so in years to come my sheep can take a nap under it *arrr dreams*

Adore her little girl statue and the fireplace is lovely.

How sweet she is to throw a party to thank her neighbors.

Blessings Kelsie

Amy Chalmers said...

Shannon has a beautiful yard! I love some of the mature plants she picked out and had installed...but most of all I love that fireplace. What a centerpiece for a yard!

Unknown said...

Your friend has a wonderful yard. I really admire the way she has arranged her planting beds, something I always struggle with.
Thanks for sharing
Traci

Olive said...

Love the weeping willow tree. Have a happy weekend♥

Anonymous said...

WOW! Great job....I see so many ideas I want to copy....LOVE the arbor! Really nice job.

Brenda Pruitt said...

Oh Nita, this is just beautiful! You know this certainly floats my boat!
Brenda

Cindi Myers said...

Wow...I love the arch with the yellow roses, that will be beautiful in no time! I love yellow roses!
I wish I had that shed! I would folk art it up!
I planted a Weeping Willow in my backyard when I first moved in years ago. Now it's over 2 stories high. I love how the branches brush against my window on cool windy nights.
Very cool.
:) - Cindi

Anonymous said...

What an amazing job, so beautiful! Have a delightful weekend Nita! Xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

What an amazing job, so beautiful! Have a delightful weekend Nita! Xoxoxo

Ricki Treleaven said...

The backyard looks amazing, and I would be in heaven if I had a stone fireplace like that! You are a great friend, Nita!

Cindy said...

Oh my, that is one beautiful yard and gardens!!!
Hugs, Cindy

backyard designer said...

WOW! Great job....I see so many ideas I want to copy....LOVE the arbor! Really nice job.
backyard design

Barnesmptl said...

What an amazing job, so beautiful! Have a delightful weekend Nita! Xoxoxo