home my cottage projects book club shop featured my buttons advertise

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Summer Cloche

Summer Under Glass
Marty at A Stroll Thru Life is having a Summer Cloche Party.
Join the party by clicking on the button above.
I'm a little late to the party but when I realized yesterday that this was going on, I wanted
to join in. But I had not decorated a cloche for summer.
I put this together this afternoon out of stuff I had around the house.
I started with a few pieces of styrofoam...covered with green moss and faux moss covered rocks 
tucked everywhere. I stuck in a little group of flowers and a little fake fern.
I decided it needed a little life to it...so I made butterflies attached to wire so that they flutter inside the cloche.
Simple butterfly shapes sketched on turquoise vellum. 
Fine floral wire hot glued to the underside.
Hmmmm....the flowers might be over kill but it was hard to stuff all this in so to remove
would mean destroying the whole thing...so I'll leave.
Displayed next to the cloche, a few summer mementos of summer's past.
They include shells and sand from South Carolina, a large antique jar of shells from my friend 
Marie of Marie's Mason in California. These shells came from the beach near her little cottage. 
The pink Oklahoma dish was always in my living room when I lived in Atlanta as a reminder of home. 
It's been put away since moving back home...but I got it out today to add to this souvenir display. 
The small shell is from Savannah, Georgia and the turquoise from Santa Fe, New Mexico. 

I'm afraid there may be no souvenirs this year to add. 
I guess I could go outside and add a locust shell. 
We have plenty of those right now.

The dogs are obsessed with hunting locusts. 
They buzz around the deck and the dogs try to catch them and eat them. 
Violet has eaten like four. 
Ick.....

sharing at

27 comments:

lanakwaustin@att.net said...

Wow! I LOVE this summery cloche!!!!!

I started following you few days ago and am SOOOOOOO glad that I found you!!!

I absolutely ADORE your...

Hmmm.....

Let me think of some great alliterative adjectives....

I absolute ADORE your...

Fantastic
AND
Fantastical

cottage!

Truly!

Hugs,
Lana In Italy (until September when we move back to AL)

Sush said...

Ohhh how I wish I had the time to make a summer cloche. Maybe when I return from the beach I could make a summer beach one! I love your lovely blue butterflies!

Lee said...

And you just had all that waiting for your summer cloche?! Wow! Looks great!
I love the creative ideas I have seen viewing the cloches.
Thanks for sharing!

The enchanted home said...

This is so beautiful Nita!! Like a little jewel where you have captured the magic of summer.....fabulous!

Amy Chalmers said...

This is why I love your blog Nita. You come up with the most original and pretty decorating ideas! The butterflies are the magic to the cloche~so glad you didn't take any of them out. I will look for a jar of shells for you when out hunting today...around New England they might be found at a good bargain.

LyndaKay said...

New follower here! Love your style!

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Simply beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Oh, how pretty! You are just so clever and now I want to make a summer cloche!
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Stacey said...

Very pretty. :) Nita, I was reading Romantic Homes magazine last night and thought that your home should be featured in there! No kidding. Your house and style would be perfect! Do you take that magazine?

How are you holding up in the heat? It's starting to make me crazy. We got our City of Edmond bill yesterday which is everything except gas. It's not pretty!

BluBabesCreate said...

Quick and stylish. I love it.

PAINTORDIG.blogspot.com said...

Love it,it looks like you spent hours on this , but you are so creative,I bet you slapped it together in ten minutes or less!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Your cloche display is stunning. I so appreciate all the work it takes to create such a lovely display. So beautiful and the butterflys are a gorgeous touch. The jar is beautiful also, and such wonderful shells and memories. Thanks so much for joining the party. Hugs, Marty

a quiet life said...

very cute~

Sunny Simple Life said...

I love your little butterfly touches and that cute OK dish is so sweet. Looks old.

Olive said...

Love the ferns Nita and the butterflies are just perfect flying around in that little glass world..............

Noble Vintage said...

love the butterflies Nita! Kind of magical :) Your blog header is always fun too- I like how you change it up.
Thanks for joining in the party this week!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Very pretty, Nita!

very merry vintage style said...

Very pretty. Love the cloche on that silver tray; what a perfect duo! My pups were like that with June bugs.. it is gross, but they sure have fun!
Mary

Cindi Myers said...

wow, you did that with stuff you already had!? you are truly talented!
eating locust...gross, but not as gross as my little ones who eat each others POOP!
Eccckkkk!
:) - Cindi

Bring Pretty Back said...

I have a confession... I do not own a cloche. I know. I know. Sad isn't it! I need one!
I do not think the flowers are too much at all and the vellum butterflies - perfect.
p.s. my husband is bidding a job about a half hour from OKC. Oh! How I hope he gets it! That means I will be headed to OKC.
Have a PRETTY day Nita!
Kristin

Linda Hartong said...

I never met a cloche I didn't like. Whatever you put under it becomes special. I love the butterflies. Clever idea. Tell the weeny's to stop it. Yuck

Hollywood forever, Kevin said...

Busy with your hands keep you out of trouble!
Send me your address and if I can get my act together, I want to send you a big piece of jade plant.

Exchange 2007 said...

Beautiful!

thepinkmateproject said...

oh wow! these are really nice!!! I love what you did!!! I have been following you from quite sometime, and I love what you've been doing and posting!

vanessa

http://thepinkmateproject.blogspot.com/

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

I think your little cloche vignette is fabulous, Nita! And the flowers look TERRIFIC with the butterflies.

Maybe you'll get to add some summer treasures to your mementos before this summer is over. ;)

Thanks for linking to the party. I love seeing your creative ideas.

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Mikey Fuller said...

I love this! Don't you just love Marty's cloche parties? It goes to show that fake flowers still have a prominent place in home decor! I struggle with the flowers outside. If it weren't for plastic and silk plants, my home would be boring indoors!

~Mikey @ Shabby French Cottage
www.shabbyfrenchcottage.com

Marie said...

Love how you prettified your cloche Ms. Nita! And of course, thanks for the "ahem" mention. You made me smile that you have been treasuring the bottle of seashells I sent you. You're wonderful!
-Marie