home my cottage projects book club shop featured my buttons advertise

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Stencils!!!

Mod Vintage Stencil Mania
by Heather
Yesterday I got an email from a Mod Vintage Life reader - Heather.
She wanted to share photos of her stenciled walls.

Aren't they lovely?
I'm usually not a big fan of stenciling but oh...I love what she has done.
Those haphazardly placed blossoms above on a smoky plum wall...love that!
I also love that sleek desk mixed with the ornate lamp and mirror.
Just the right mix of old and new.
 This hallway is super pretty too....
Loving every bit of this.
 And how about just a few gold birds flying away!

I knew you all would enjoy this.
I love the way she's got all these flowers mounted to the wall too. 

Heather doesn't have a blog of her own...but she should, shouldn't she?
She promises to email me more projects as she does them.

The other day I put up a humming bird feeder...yes I know very very late.
But I just hadn't gotten around to it this year.

I put it up and within an hour I had a little one flying around.
Of course as soon as the weenies went out...it disappeared.

Humming birds don't like weenies. 
I guess they don't realize how unthreatening they are.

The weenies don't even know the hummers are there!

So the last few days my friends who are all meaning well...
keep calling me to ask me what I'm doing.

I just about can't take it any more.

I'm not doing anything....and I don't want to talk to anyone about the fact that I'm doing nothing.

Tonight my friend Deidra called. I hadn't answered her calls the last couple of days
but tonight I finally did.

As soon as I said hello she asked if I was mad at her.
"No", I said, "I'm never mad. I just couldn't take having everyone calling me asking
what I'm going to do next."

"I just don't want to talk about it".
"I don't know what I'm going to do...if I did...I'd be doing it."

She said she understood how I felt and said that I should do what she does when 
people ask her what she is doing. 

She says she tells them she is working on her novel.

That usually shuts people up cause everyone knows a novel takes a few years to write
and they are very impressed.

So for awhile anyway....I'm writing a novel.

11 comments:

DD's Cottage said...

Good luck on the job search and with "writing your novel".

donna baker said...

I so understand, Nita. I have been writing a novel for some time now (I really did write one years ago). It just is.... I know all the platitudes; it could be so much worse, blah blah blah. It just doesn't work that way. Wishing you a speedy rise.

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I thought for sure that first photo was your mod vintage room! I love the fresh look of the stencils.

You have a very wise friend, Nita. I'm going to remember that response the next time I take a personal day to do absolutely nothing! You need time to regroup, and you've got the perfect weather to "work on your novel".

Anonymous said...

Yes, Heather should start her own blog to show off her beautiful stencil work!

Curtains in My Tree said...

Oh I love that chandelier lamp in the first picture and I have always liked stenciled walls and floors

pogonip said...

Love the gold stencils--and the novel. I'm betting you actually have one (or more) in you, Nita!

awal.ny said...

Keep remembering it is because they care. I love the little gold bird. I once tried stencils, nope, took to long for me. So now I use carbon paper and free hand paint it. I just might have a bird or two that need to go on a wall. Good luck with everything. Alaina

Unknown said...

What a great find! That's a really nice chair, and looks like the perfect piece for your room.
compact Desk Design

Donna said...

All of Heather’s stenciling projects are charming. The little gold birds elevate the display over the sofa into something special. I love everything about the purple room. Thanks for the inspiration.
I like your friends “novel approach” to inquisitive people.

Andrea at Opulent Cottage said...

I can't wait to read it because damn, girl, you have some funny stories :)

Cindi Myers said...

Hey! that's MY answer!
LOL!
Yep, talk about it all the time...
and where is it?
But seriously, I AM writing one.
On little index cards and post-it notes.
Sigh.
Anyway, at least they are calling. I know you don't want to hear that but years ago when I lost my job many of my "friends" just disappeared. Or the friends and family that did check in on me kept suggesting horrible occupations that they themselves would never do.
I know you will eventually get back on your feet.
...and why not write a novel?
xoxo