home my cottage projects book club shop featured my buttons advertise

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Lampshade Jewelry

aka: Fun with Magnets and Stuff
Remember last month when I made this....
see post here

Well, I'm finally back with the tutorial on how I created that shade.
There is no big secret to covering a lampshade in burlap.
In this case, I tore off the fabric that covered this shade but left the lining.
I've found with burlap shades...you need the lining or you can see right through the shade.
I cut the burlap to the width and length of the shade and simply hot glued 
it to the wire frame.

I covered the edge with gimp and now the shade was ready for embellishment.
I promised I'd tell how I achieved the button tufted affect of this shade.
This shade's structure has metal wire running up and down in two spots on each long side
and one on each short side.
It's an oval shaped shade.

I already knew I was going to use this shade for an embellishment idea I had
and in experimenting I discovered the tufted affect.

I wanted to be able to change the look of this lampshade.
I didn't want it to always look the same, though.

So to do this...I used magnets hot glued to the back of my buttons.
Here I've gathered up some supplies.
Buttons, flowers, jewelry odds and ends and magnets.

Earlier in the summer I'd made this huge adornment for another lamp.
It's hard to get a good photo since this lamp sits in front of a window.
Here you can see it better.
The living room is a mess with projects strewn about.
The large pink flower really adds whimsy to this lamp and shade.
For this flower I cut the stem off.
I had to hot glue the layers of flower back together to keep the flower from coming apart after removing the stem.
I then hot glued a rhinestone button in the center of the flower.

I had to use large magnets I found at Lowe's for this flower since it's large.
One magnet glued to the back of the flower and one magnet goes on the inside of the shade.

If you get tired of this look...switch it out with something else!
You can have a different look with each season.
Or for that matter....each day!
I liked this so much...I decided to do some embellishing on my burlap shade that I made.
The first look was this. Achieved with six buttons placed horizontally around the shade.
I sewed with embroidery thread back and forth in the button holes before glueing to the magnet so they would look sewn on. The magnets pulling the fabric to the metal gave the tufted affect.
After that I was hooked...I created several pieces of jewelry in a very short time.
I found a large package of magnets at Walmart the other night and this little package
of flowers at Michaels. I couldn't resist those flowers.

Here are my other looks created with magnets and hot glue.
This one a burlap bow with crystal prism and rhinestones.
White burlap flowers give it another look.
A large wood button with gathered burlap and rhinestone makes another embellishment.
I was really on a roll, now.
This is my favorite...it's very much my style.
But not very fall like so will most likely not make an appearance again till spring here 
at my cottage.
These of course can move around in any configuration or get moved from lamp to lamp in my home
or they could end up on my refrigerator!

This is a really fun and easy project...I hope you give it a try.

I'm thinking I need to do some scary embellishments for Halloween.

Which version of this of this lampshade do you like best?

sharing at

22 comments:

Stacey said...

Wonderful! To me the shade really is the most important part. It's amazing how the shade changes the look.

Laurel Stephens said...

You are a GENIUS! I featured your lamp on Friday Finds a bit ago because I loved it. Who dreamed it could get even better?! I LOVE this idea. Love it, love it, love it! Really, genius!

Unknown said...

This is such an innovative idea. I love the large wooden button with gathered burlap and rhinestone version. I bought some of those round flat magnets at Lowe's a while back but I use them to keep my shower liner stuck to the tub while I take a shower. Otherwise, the force of the water makes it move around. This is definitely a much more creative way of using them! Thank you so much for the idea.

Kim said...

Nita, yo have outdone yourself! I love all the different looks of the shade. Becasue frankly sometimes we are subtle and sometimes we want some colorful flair!

Brenda Pruitt said...

I'm still crazy about the first one. It mesmerized me so I cannot get it out of my mind. But the others you created are fantastic too. Hey Nita, maybe you've stumbled on a new business here. Create embellishments for lampshades and such with magnets and sell on Etsy. Bet you'd have some buyers.
Brenda

KC Coake said...

What a fun idea! It is so pretty and I love that you can move and change it any time you want. Genius!
KC

chateau chic said...

I love all of your different embellishments for your lamp. Such a great idea.
Mary Alice

http://decoratedchaos.blogspot.com said...

What a cool idea!

The Style Sisters said...

Very creative fun and pretty!! Love your ideas! Come link up to centerpiece Wednesday and share this post with us http://thestylesisters.blogspot.com/2013/09/welcome-to-centerpiece-wednesday-92.html
Karin

The Sterling Cherub said...

Nita, you are brilliant! This is one of the most clever ideas I've ever seen for embellishing shade,s and the best part is they are removable and don't cause damage! I found "lamp shade jewelry" at a shop one time, they were metal fleur de lis shapes that were on pins (like old-fashioned lapel pins with the backing) and you pinned them to the shade, but they left holes. I thought those were rather clever, but needed improvement because they did damage the shade. You have come up with that improvement, and there really is no end to what you can do with your idea! Love it!

Best,

Kimberly

Unknown said...

Nita, this is such a grand idea. Pure simple genius. I can't wait to give it a try. I am thinking my shades need some fall leaves.
Traci

Scribbler said...

You are much too clever!

I like the last one the best, and the wheels are already turning...

Curtains in My Tree said...

very fun
and I dressed up my shades last weekend with rhinestones and ribbons
we are thinking alike this week

love all your ideas

Pamela said...

Nita:

What a fabulous idea! So beautiful!

And thank you for the kind words you left on my blog - you're an inspiration <3

Pamela

Debra@CommonGround said...

Nita, these just keep getting better and better, love ALL these looks. I'm going to have to do one, they're adorable!

Unknown said...

What a great idea! Nice to be able to change things on a whim! I'm pinning! Julia

Laurel Stephens said...

Featuring your lampshade jewelry on Friday Finds this afternoon. Thanks, Nita! Have a great weekend!

The Style Sisters said...

I highlighted you tonight on my blog for centerpiece Wednesday http://thestylesisters.blogspot.com/2013/09/centerpiece-wednesday-93.html
Karin

Unknown said...

There is no big secret to covering a lampshade in burlap. ... rusticlampshades.blogspot.com

Adamson williams said...

Amazing post you have shared.All the lampshades designs are beautiful. But I like burlap flowers lampshade the most.

lamp shades for table lamps

Kit Charles said...

"I'm continually amazed by the caliber of your content. Your blog has a way of making me feel both informed and inspired. Thank you for your dedication to excellence!"
piada coupon

Abigale Huels said...

"In a world flooded with information, your blog stands out as a lighthouse of credibility. The meticulous research and dedication to accuracy are commendable. Thank you for being a reliable source in the vast sea of content."
applebees coupons 10 off $30