home my cottage projects book club shop featured my buttons advertise

Monday, November 15, 2010

On the Subject of Kitchens

Kitchen, Kitchen, Where's My Kitchen?
source: Country Living

I've loved this kitchen for a long time and its the reason I painted my kitchen this buttery ivory color.
But my kitchen is small. A galley kitchen.
source: Country Living
This is the kitchen of Carrie Raphael and I'm sure many of you have seen it. 
It's been all over Blog Land.
But I've loved it forever especially with this vintage metal island added. 

Her website: 
Carrie's pretty house

So... still no photos of my kitchen.
This weekend did not go as planned and there were a few things 
I wanted to do to the kitchen before I post it.

Like add the sink skirt I made earlier this fall and the new curtains I made for the breakfast nook.
And add some silver stuff here and there.

Oh...and clean it.

And then I noticed a little loose wallpaper in the corner of the breakfast nook. 
You see, five years ago I painted over wall paper. I know...a big no no. 
But it had been painted over many times and didn't look or feel like it was going any where. 
So my Mom and I did what we normally wouldn't do...we painted over it.

So I noticed it looked loose in the corner and gave a little pull and now lots of the wall is exposed...
a mess...a new project. 
I had made curtains and still hadn't put them up because I was busy with Halloween. 
I thought the room would be done once the curtains were up and now...its a do over. 
Now I have to paint it again. 
Drat.

So I guess I'll show with the ugly messed up wall or maybe I'll photoshop it, so you can't tell.

I was going to do all this today get the rooms ready and take photos.

But....

I had a flat on my vehicle and that took most of the day getting it changed out.
Thank goodness for my brother in law.

He came to my rescue once again.
And I was reminded that I really need to get Triple A.

So in the time being....

More pretty kitchens
source: Houzz
source: Country Living
source: Country Living
This is very similar to my kitchen in layout.
This is the after from this

Hopefully, I'll show next my kitchen.
It's really nothing to get excited about though but everyone is asking to see.

20 comments:

Chrissie said...

ALL OF THOSE KITCHENS ARE GORGEOUS! I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOURS, I KNOW IT WILL BE FABULOUS. I HATE IT FOR YOU ABOUT THAT PEELING WALLPAPER, SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING THAT WOULD HAPPEN TO ME, AND I WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO RESIST THE URGE TO PULL EITHER!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Oh I hate that the wallpaper pulled off. We painted over ours, too and so far so good. Those are some great kitchens and can't wait to see yours.

An Urban Cottage said...

You should show us the ugly so we can offer our condolences and virtual hugs.

Amy Chalmers said...

Love those kitchens. lots to be inspired by...now lets see yours!

Pam Kessler said...

Those blinds in that first kitchen are wonderful. I can't wait to see your sink skirt and new curtains.

Kristen White said...

Wonderful inspiration kitchens! However I can't wait to see YOURS because I know it will be absolutely charming :o)
Kristen

Little Emma English Home said...

Oh I'm so curious to see your kitchen!! Sorry, I've been away for a while but I'm back, I will write you soon. I didn't forget!!

Hugs darling!
Zaira

Teresa@1800 Farmhouse Rd said...

I want one of each of those kitchens. I am gonna get in serious trouble if I keep coming over here. I am just the type that will have a hammer ripping cabinets off the walls just to see what I can change. Teresa

Olive said...

Drats is right on both your events, evil wallpaper and car trouble. Funny I posted about car trouble and AAA today. I like to cook in a galley kitchen as they are very efficent spaces.

Roeshel said...

I cannot wait to see your kitchen!!! These are all gorgeous. (drooling) We're redoing our kitchen too and I'm getting impatient. lol Not an overnight transformation. Seeing these makes me want to get in there and get it done (at 9:30 p.m. on a Monday no less. lol!)

Have a great week!

I just know it's going to be worth the wait! Making a note to keep watching! ;)

Roeshel

DreamgirlLisa said...

I love everyone of those kitchens...and I have walls that are painted over wallpaper, same for me, it had already been done in my house, so we went with it. So far, it's holding...and YES, get AAA, a single girl can't live w/out it!!

Debra @ Life in a 320 square foot home said...

I just found you - through bloghopping ( a serious addiction) I am in the corner of NW Arkansas - nice to find a neighbor! Beautiful blog, it will be a pleasure to add you to my reading list!

Debra

Tanna said...

So sorry about the wallpaper. Sometimes it works out okay to paint over it. =(

I'd love any one of these kitchens. They are all so light and spacious.

Andrea at Opulent Cottage said...

You have just shown every kitchen I have ever loved in every magazine I have ever seen. And that house! It's been my wallpaper on my computer before. Dreamy, dreamy, dreamy.
Hot glue that wallpaper back down and show us what you've got! If you show your unfinished kitchen, maybe I'll show mine, lol. I'm sure mine is alot scarier.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

What great kitchens! Can't wait to see yours.

Thanks for stopping by my blog on my master bath redo!
Penny

Marie said...

Hi Nita - J'adore those lovely images of kitchens you posted. Someday, you'll have yours too and we'll oooh and aahhh over it.

I'm back from Charleston, and you're right, it's a triple whammy for me out there. I am ready to move!

Hey, you won my raffle so stop by and email me your shipping/postal address when you get a chance.
Good day!
-marie

French-Kissed said...

Life just seems to get in the way of our best laid decorating plans...but just hang in there and do a little at a time...it will be so worth it when you can finally sit back with a cup of tea and soak it all in. Really appreciate all of your kitchen inspiration photos right now as I have a kitchen redo coming up in a Paris apartment...so excited!...it has a limited budget but that always seems to bring out the best in us.

~jermaine

Unknown said...

So sorry about the flat. But I really enjoyed all the new kitchen pictures. Do you have a whole stash of pictures ready to post?
Traci

Anonymous said...

Oddly enough, even though our styles are not similar, I love these kitchens, too. And buttery yellow on the walls sounds perfect. - - The Always Annonymous HollyM

Anonymous said...

I just did a post on kitchens, as well! I'm trying to find my kitchen, too. There are so many beautiful ones in blogland, it's hard not to be inspired!

Your kitchen is great! I really like it. I'm still trying to find my style. On a very slim budget, I might add. :)