home my cottage projects book club shop featured my buttons advertise

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Rainwashed or Tousled Grass

That is the Question
I've loved this bedroom for a long time.
I don't know where the photo originated from. If you know, let me know.
Well, what I like is the wall color and the headboard.

So a couple of weeks ago, I was contacted by a nice guy at 

He asked if I'd like to receive some free paint from Dutch Boy and in return give a review of their product.

Well, I've been wanting to paint my bedroom for ages and thought this the perfect opportunity.
Only problem is...I already knew what color I wanted.
I wanted Sherwin Williams Rainwashed like in these rooms below.
Currently, I have a pale pink antique iron headboard with much sentimental value and birds eye maple dressers in the room. 
Yes, dressers...one low boy with mirror and one large chest of drawers with mirror too. 
I had a much larger bedroom where I lived before and now the room seems too crowded with both.
But I'm not sure what to do about that because I do need the storage.
One might have to go to the back bedroom.

I'm not a fan of wood finishes very much...and if it weren't that these are birdseye...I'd probably paint them in a heart beat. 
But since they are birdseye and they are all I've got...I'm going to make it work. 
And they are pretty. I do really like birdseye maple

See above photo? I actually really love that wood bookcase thing with the rainwashed walls.
And my first inspiration photo has wood tones and I still love the room.
I'm thinking maybe this will push me to do something great I would not have done otherwise.
But here is my dilemma...
I knew I wanted to paint the room SW Rainwashed and a few months ago I painted my best friend's 
bedroom that very color which just confirmed it.

But my free paint is from Dutch Boy.
Dutch Boy is owned by Sherwin Williams. Did you know that?

So the nice guy at Dutch Boy sent me a paint deck and told me to pick a color.
I picked the color that in the paint deck looks closest to Rainwashed.
And that color is Tousled Grass.

Normally, I'd never paint a room without doing a test of paint color first.
But hey...this was suppose to be a free deal and not wanting to spend any money, 
I didn't want to go to Walmart which is where they sell Dutch Boy and buy samples.

So I am very nervous to how this is going to turn out. 
For you see the room now is a terrible toothpaste green. 
It's been that color ever since I bought the house and I hate it.
I'm so frightened this is going to be similar.....I know this is probably an irrational fear. 
But you know, you never know how a color is going to look on the wall just by the paint chip.

Rainwashed is not very attractive on the paint chip but on the wall it's magic.
So I went on Dutch Boy's site and they have this Color Tester program where you select different rooms
and pick the paint color and see how it looks.
Here are my tests of Tousled Grass.
Pretty good, I think.
Nice but I'm sure it's going to be darker than this.
Yikes! this one scares me...looking too minty fresh.
Please may it not look like this in real life.
I don't know....I guess I just won't know till the paint gets here.
Have you used Dutch Boy paints before? 
I never have and I'm apprehensive although I've read great reviews online.
Did you also know that Sherwin Williams manufactures Krylon spray paint too.
Krylon is my favorite spray paint....but I did not know it was made by Sherwin Williams.
No wonder it's so great.

17 comments:

An Urban Cottage said...

Nita,
I really like that color and I think it looks great with the medium toned wood. I think it will be perfect with your bird's eye maple. And I know you can make it work!

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Nita...can't they do a custom color match? I thought everybody did that.

Unknown said...

I think it is a lovely color and will look great. I can hardly wait to see how it all turns out.

Amy Chalmers said...

I love this inspiration pics. I was thinking they could do a computer match to rainwashed, but maybe since it is a product review they want you to use one of their actual colors, which is understandable. Your first pic seems to have some faux effects going on...if the tousled grass doesn't live up to your expectations, you can get a sample of rainwashed and then do a wash over it!

Cindy said...

I love the SW Rainwashed, and I wish you luck with the Dutch Boy Paint, I hope you find the exact color that you want and really love it.
Hugs, Cindy

24 Corners said...

Nita, the Tousled Grass looks really pretty and it does look very similar to Rainwashed. Who knows, maybe you'll even like it better! Best with the whole project.
xo J~

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I hope it is the color you want, and maybe it will be even better. Paint a sample board and then you won't have the wrong color on the wall in case you don't like it. I love the maple and I think it will be fabulous with the color. Hugs, Marty

Cindi Myers said...

well, now that I'm done Googling Birdseye Maple, and after looking at your photos about 5 times....
I do see a difference but I think you just never know what it will look like anyway. Your room might have different light and your furniture and personal stuff will change it up. I would say it's close and I hope that it turns out perfect for you!
XOXO - Cindi

Patty said...

I just painted my living room with complete faith based on a paper color sample and a written review in a magazine describing the color. When I opened the can, I was at first convinced they forgot to tint the paint and it was still white. But, after I began painting, it turned into everything I wanted. I really like it a lot. It isn't exactly what was described in the magazine, but I still love it. It is a gamble....but, I am betting you like it!

Brenda Pruitt said...

I'm not much of a painter. That may all change soon. Can't afford to hire one!
Brenda

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I love the color Nita, very nice with the maple! I'd love to see what you decide upon and later the finished job, I'm into painting too. Lots of hugs.
FABBY

Etcetorize said...

The colour looks dreamy and I can just imagine it with your antique pink headboard. I'm sure it's going to look beautiful. Can't wait to see a before and after post on it~

Meadowsweet Cottage said...

Both colors are dream-worthy!

When a paint color turns out not to be quite what I expected, I grab my craft acrylics and start "tweaking" it until I like the result.

Juniper Hill Antiques said...

My thoughts were as above, ask them to color match for you....perhaps they will think it's a great idea!

KarenB said...

You'll love the color with birdseye maple, I promise! I just spent LOTS of time stewing over color choices, all Sherwin Williams. In the end, I love what I chose, but the main color changes at different times of the day. Your choice may do the same. All in all, it was WAY better than what was here before.

Ricki Treleaven said...

Hey, Nita. I'm back from my break, checking up on your blog. I am a Benjamin Moore junkie, *but* I have a friend who is a decorator, and she only uses Dutch Boy she says because of the pigments, which really should interest me because I am an artist.

If you like the Tousled Grass, but are afraid of the minty fresh-ness, it will look more minty the more white is added to the paint. If you want to cut it, add blue to make it cooler or yellow to warm it. The white is making it look minty, I can assure you.

I can't wait to read your review and see your room because Tammy swears by Dutch Boy paint!

Cranberry Morning said...

I googled Tousled Grass because it's what I just bought for my kitchen. It took me to this blog post. So I'm curious to know how it turned out for you. Did you like it when all was said and done?