home my cottage projects book club shop featured my buttons advertise

Sunday, May 2, 2010

New Chalkboard for the Weenie Condo


Message to the Weenies
I've seen lots of great chalkboards on many blogs. Most of the ones I really really liked were made from old frames and mirrors. Well, I needed a chalkboard now... to leave messages to the weenies on...I didn't have time to wait till I found the perfect antique frame or mirror...so a couple of weeks ago...I'm in Michael's Crafts and I see this on clearance for $10.


I really kind of liked it as is...but I'm not into red and the rust on it was too perfect. And it was almost the same color as my walls. So I bought some chalkboard paint and my favorite white spray paint. 

And this is the finished chalkboard. Perfect for leaving messages to the weenies.



It now hangs by the back door in the breakfast nook or as I call it the Weenie Condo because that's where the weenies live during the day while I am at work. As you see....I left them their first message.



Although for this message board to really work for them....it needs to hang at about a foot off the floor. Because they won't strain their necks to look up to see what message I've left when it hangs this high. Oh...well I can leave messages to myself on it. 

Here's a silly story...last year I had a water leak in the backyard. My plumber, Don came out to find out what was wrong. He had to go under the house at the little door that is on the west side of my house right under the Weenie Condo. He was putting on his coveralls and explaining that he'd forgotten his hat...and he didn't like to go under houses without his hat because of all the spiders under houses. But he'd go ahead because it had to be done. So I'm watching as he bends his over 6 foot frame to go under...he's very cute...I forgot to mention that. All of a sudden he comes backing out as fast as he can and jumps to his feet with a frightened look on his face. But then he starts to laugh...

He says...."I started under and I could hear the sound of lots of little feet above me and I thought - Those are the biggest rats I've ever heard....I'm out of here!" That is when he backed out super quick. But as soon as he came out he realized what he was hearing was the weenies overhead in their condo...he also realized that you don't hear the clicking of rat toenails on the floor...and made him realize exactly what he was hearing.

Anyway...we laughed and laughed that for a split second he thought I had an infestation of the hugest rats ever. Nope...but I do have an infestation of weenies.

I'm super late but sharing this over at





There are lots of great projects this week. Wish I'd joined up sooner but I was just too busy.

Oh...and I'm having my first Giveaway if you'll go to my last post and enter. 


All you have to do is leave a comment to enter once and be a follower to get two entries in to the contest to win a $50 gift certificate from CSN Stores.

Contest was to end tonight but I'm going to extend it through Tuesday night since I never got a chance to link up to anything this weekend. That will give many more people the opportunity to enter.

Again...just go to this link to enter....


decided to share also over at





One more link up at 
one more




this is an old post but I wanted to share at 


18 comments:

Karena said...

Nita, how great, I am so excited to enter your contest.

The story above really made me smile!!

Karena
Art by Karena

FrenchGardenHouse said...

SO cute! A great idea. {not sure it will make them obey, but you can try} :) Lidy

Katie said...

Wow, that turned out super cute!

huntedtreasures said...

The story of the repair guy had me intrigue like book story, could not wait what he had heard. Then I laughed and laughed thinking and imaging your faces. I enjoyed reading it. HAHAHHAHHA!!!!

Hugs,
Maria

Tamber said...

I love the chalkboard. I have almost the same exact one that I am trying to decide on what I should do with it. Maybe I will make a chalkboard.

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...

Adorable!

Meander said...

Oh girl! Love the chalkboard! It turned out adorable!!! :)

Gypsy Purple said...

Please see my blog for a link and a mention xx Gypsy Purple

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Gorgeous frame! Love it as a chalkboard! Beautiful job! Hope you are enjoying your weekend! ~Stephanie Lynn

Jane B. said...

This is soooo cute and functional too!! Thanks for linkin' up to Frugalicious Friday!

Jane
Finding Fabulous

Beth said...

Hope your weenies have enjoyed their message board and so glad to hear you don't have weenie-sized rats with long toenails running around underneath you home ;). Too funny! Thanks so much for linking up!

La said...

Nice results!

nannykim/spindlecottage said...

Nice; I love the frame--so cute. The poor guy---your story was funny!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Very cute makeover! So glad it wasn't real rats. ;) I'm visiting from Beth's Chalkboard Paint Party. My link is #8 on the list (I linked an older post). :)

Tiffany said...

LOVELY chalkboard~the frame is really cute! Rats!~really funny!

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

Too cute!!! Such a fun message. Our pets are like our children, aren't they.

I like your redo of the frame so much better than the original. You were right. The rust spots were too contrived.

Blessings,
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

Adorable! Love the story about the rats too. Ha!
Thanks for linking up to my chalkboard party!

Londen

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Such a pretty chalkboard! I love that gorgeous frame!!