home my cottage projects book club shop featured my buttons advertise

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Special Blog Friend

I have the after Christmas decorating blahs.
After putting away all my Christmas, I wanted to do a new mantel.
Every year at this time I drag out my art deco mantel clock.
I bought this clock over ten years ago.
When I bought my little 1931 cottage I thought for sure this 1930's art deco mantel clock 
would fit in perfect.

But it doesn't. 
Every year after Christmas, I (needing a mantel design to get me through from the holidays
till it's time to decorate for Valentine's Day) place this clock on the mantel.

It never looks right.

How can a 1930's mantel clock on a mantel in a 1930's house...look so blah?
It's a beautiful clock. I love the chrome face and chrome ball feet and the curve lines of it.
Why does it not work?
I think this is a very good example of how it's much better to mix things up.
I need something more modern up there.

This clock is too serious, too low in profile and too brown.

I would be tempted to paint it...but that would involve removing the face of the clock 
and I don't want to do that.
Anyway...I thought I would show it but I'm working on a different mantelscape.

But see there to the right of the clock?
That was my little after the Holiday's surprise.
Valorie Hart aka "The Visual Vamp" emailed me a couple of weeks ago and said she was sending 
a little after Christmas stuff to me. She said she'd found a few things on sale that she just knew 
I needed to add to my vintage Christmas decor. 
She said these things needed a little love and she knew I was the one to provide it.

So the other day a package arrived. First thing, I unwrapped was this cute little Cody Foster Gift Box.
Yes...it's missing a little trim and some of the glitter had rubbed off. I quickly fixed that.
I couldn't believe it.
I'd seen this little box in a store here in Oklahoma City before Christmas and wanted it
but could not afford to buy for myself. 
And now here it is in my home. Like magic.
Not sure what I'll do about the missing trim.
I'll leave as is till I find something that might replace it.
She also sent some little glitter deer whose glitter had been knocked off.
I can fix those too.
And a pretty garland of tinsel and glitter bells.
All of that will get added to my vintage Christmas next year.

I felt so honored that Valorie had thought of me when she saw these things.
Her blog has been a must read of mine for quite awhile.
Her style is glamorous, artistic, unexpected and constantly changing.
She's a professional Tango dancer, a photostylist, decorator and writer.

 I love all things New Orleans and 
I love to check in on her blog to see what is going on there.
This is Valorie and Alberto her life and tango partner.
She and Alberto had quite an experience in Canada last fall (read here).
Alberto was stricken ill and they were trapped in Canada. 

Luckily, they are both back in New Orleans now and dancing.
I thought I'd show a little from her blog for any of you not familiar with it. 
But you should certainly start following it, if you aren't.
She recently rearranged the furniture in her living room.
Her bar at Christmas
Her dining room at Christmas
and she just redid her Planet Tango Dance Studio

Valorie also works at 
and contributes to it's blog.

There are lots of beautiful things instore at Perch.
And you can shop online!
This store is a mix of antique, vintage, modern and custom.
I know a lot of you love antlers and Perch has them available for $15 each.
I think that sounds like a very good deal.
Myself, I could clear a spot for this credenza in my own home.

I can't believe how lucky I am to have made such wonderful friends this last year through blogging.
I would never have imagined...a year ago that the writer of one of my most admired blogs would 
think of me when she saw some little Christmas things and send them to me.

So incredibly nice. 
But that seems to be what this whole blogging thing is about - other than sharing pretty images...
It's sharing our lives, our hopes, our fears,
and through kindness making each day better, together.

18 comments:

Cindi Myers said...

darn, I thought I sent you comment and now it's gone...
OK. I said-
That I agree, the clock doesn't work on your mantel...as well as it would on mine! tee hee! In my mind's eye, I see something in mother of pearl or maybe ULTRA modern! I'll keep an eye open at Estate sales! :)
Valorie has amazing style! I love the white upholstery against the vivid wall color! She is such a sweetheart sending you those Christmas finds! I am jealous!
I want that little dog figurine! But truly, you deserve it! You have been a bright spot in my life!
XOXO - Cindi

Karena said...

Nita, I adore both you and Valorie. She has made so many positive changes to her place, and isn't Perch wonderful!!

I know you will make magic with your treasures!

I am so happy that Alberto is much better!

Be sure to come and enter my Giveaway from Blydesign......

Xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena

Dawn said...

Nita, I am so glad you found me so that I could be gifted with your blog every time you post...you are fabulous my dear! Drop in anytime... I love how your mantel looks but you have to love it and I understand completely. Your friend is so stylish as well...love her dining room table...omg. I will check her out. Dawn Suitcase Vignettes...xx

Visual Vamp said...

You are so welcome Nita!!!
I love what you do.
Thanks for this incredible shout out!
xo xo

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

What a sweet blog friend and oh, my her home and shop are gorgeous. Love those antlers.

Kit said...

Great blog and I loved the picts of your Tango friends house and business. Don't worry, you will find the perfect place for your clock in one of your rooms and until then, enjoy those lovely items you received. I too am amazed at the friends I have made from blogging. Such a great community! Kit

Anonymous said...

Hi Nita,
I think the reason your clock doesn't work on the mantle is because your fireplace is a work of art in itself and you need something really jazzy to compensate. The clock needs a space of its own where it can shine.
I found your blog through Valerie's. Alberto is a tango friend of mine as I dance it here in the UK and he has a lovely website where he translates tango lyrics.
It is amazing how the blogging world works and how people come together with shared interests!
Hope you feel better now! How are the dogs?

Elizabeth said...

How special to receive a gift like that! She has a beautiful blog.

I think the clock is gorgeous, but doesn't work with the mercury glass. I think if you changed the candle holders or added another color that compliments the dark wood, it just might work.

Betsy Brock said...

It is a beautiful clock. I imagine it on a bookshelf...maybe resting on a stack of books and nestled in the shelves in an organized but cluttered look. :)

Your mirror is just lovely, too!

DreamgirlLisa said...

The clock is beautiful, I'm sure you will find just the right place for it eventually. I love the last few lines of your post, so true!

Connie said...

I love mercury glass! What a fabulous collection of candleholders. Yes, I think you're right - the clock may just be too brown for all that beautiful blue tile of the fireplace.
It's all just trial and error, isn't it, until you hit something that catches your eye as just right.

Olive said...

You are right the clock is too brown. You need a silver or white clock. Do pale blue clocks exist? She is a fabulous friend and the gift fits you to a tee!

Amy Chalmers said...

The clock has a pretty shape, I love the bottom edge of it, the scroll part. I know what you mean, some thing that we love don't work in our decor but one day you will figure out where it belongs.
That was so sweet of her to send you those things Nita. I love your sentiments about what blogging is other than sharing images, sometimes we get to share ourselves with our special blogger friends! Thats the best part for me too.

Tammy@Beatrice Banks said...

Beautiful clock. You'll find the perfect spot I'm sure.
Thanks for sharing Visual Vamp. I went right over and became a follower. Her decor is truly gorgeous.
Have a wonderful week!
Tammy

Renae Moore said...

Nita....a friend of Valorie's is a friend of mine! I love what you do and will keep tabs from now on!
Blessings.....xx

Anonymous said...

What a nice gift! Very sweet.
-FringeGirl

Allison said...

So very thoughtful and sweet of Valorie to send those lovely gifts to you. I'm still a "blog reader" and hope soon to start my own blog but am so inspired and encouraged by the wonderful women and their talent, creativity, wisdom, generosity and kindness. You were so kind to me, Nita, helping me locate my Snow-woman. Have a great week.

seanymph said...

I just saw a clock like yours in Etsy and it was covered in pretty sea shells. That certainly lightened it up alot. Perhaps you could do that.