home my cottage projects book club shop featured my buttons advertise

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Painting the House

Today!
My painter decided he wanted to paint my house today rather than leave the neighborhood to do the two other houses on his list. He decided while he's in the area...he better go ahead and do mine. I thought I was going to have a couple of weeks to decide color and exactly how I want it painted. The roof turned out grand. I went with the slate and am happy I did.

Here are my two plans for the paint. I'll welcome opinions. I can't decide if I should only paint the windows a color and leave the trim the color of the brick or paint all. Let me know what you think because I have to decide today.
Windows only
Windows and trim
Now I'm off to the paint store to get paint samples to put up and test. Let me know which you think looks best. I'm leaning towards the windows only. But it is much more common in my neighborhood to paint both to match.

11 comments:

alison (semi-fab lane) said...

i like the trim painted too! it really shows off the detail of your roof line. good luck!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I like both painted the same. It kind of looks unfinished the other way, but is up to you and what you like.

Teri said...

Windows and trim. It looks more pulled together.

Lisa ~Suburban Retreat~ said...

I too like both the windows and trim painted the same. Ultimately, it's whatever looks best to you! Good luck with your decision.

Lisa@Suburban Retreat

Teresa said...

So like the trim and windows done the same color.
Good luck.

Olive said...

I like both painted the same. But this is your house and your investment. hugs♥olive

Nita Stacy said...

Thanks everyone for your input. I've been to Barnes and Noble...found a great book full of exterior house color combinations..which was of no help because it just showed me even more options.

Cindi Myers said...

Oh Gawd! Don't ask me!
I keep going from light bright yellow to dark dark grey to vanilla white for my own home!
(OK, if I must, do windows and trim). But I have NO idea for a color!

Paulette Kinney/Paper Nosh said...

hi Nita !! I think you're lacking that third crucial color to make it all pop. So the sand color, the green as the main focus and then maybe just a bit on some thin trim that may be around the windows in a muted red or Burgundy. Those color cards you picked up should have something in those combo's. I hope this helps. xxxx, paulette

Unknown said...

how about the windows and the vents one color and the trim an other, I think, at least here in ca the trim painted the same as the windows looks dated and draws attention to the edge of the roof rather than the windows which i would want to be the focus.
good luck picking a color on the fly. I think you will pick well.
Traci

Unknown said...

I kinda like all of it painted. Second pic. Can't wait to see the finished project.