home my cottage projects book club shop featured my buttons advertise

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Vintage Wicker Headboards

Remember these vintage wicker headboards from the seventies?
I had one as a teenager. That one above to be exact.
My Mom brought it to me last summer to use in my guest room.
They came in a natural color when you bought them. 
I painted mine white while I was still in high school.
But they are even better when painted a luscious color.
 via
I saw a couple of these on Craigslist last fall. 
They wanted like $25 for each.
I wanted them but I didn't need them...so I didn't go get them.
Someone got a great deal.
I wonder what color they ended up?
I really do love them in turquoise!
 via
They are just right for a little girl's room.
 via
Stunning in red.
 via
This one  reminds me of a peacock.
 via
You can never go wrong with white.
 via
Most of these probably only came in a double size.
Go ahead and use a double size headboard if you have a queen bed.
A queen is only 6 inches wider. 
That means three inches on each side wider than a double size headboard.
 via
My own headboard on my personal bed is a vintage wrought iron.
A double bed sized headboard looks just fine with my queen sized mattress.
Really it does so don't let having a queen size bed discourage you from buying a double size headboard.
 via
They work well in a bohemian chic room.
 via

So I've wondering why isn't anyone making new ones like these vintage ones?

Well, Land of Nod is - 
 This one is new from Land of Nod.
This whole room set up looks straight out of "Alice in Wonderland".
Their peacock shaped one is really nice.

My original one came Pier 1.
I wondered why Pier 1 doesn't do these again?

They are so fabulous aren't they?

So work is going well.
I'm meeting lots of nice people. 

I finished my cabinet I was painting.

It turned out nice.

I'll take a photo the next time I'm home and have the right light. 

I painted this in the living room and I had stuff everywhere while doing it.

I've vowed to myself not to tear up the living room again for a long long time.

Of course next on the list is to paint is the dining room which will involve me moving furniture 
into the living room while I paint but maybe that won't be so bad.

I always think its not going to be too bad or take very long.

And it always turns out to be worse than I thought and take longer than I imagined. 

Photos to come of furniture from the store soon.

I'm just not comfortable yet taking random photos of the merchandise.

But I'm sure I will that will change.


15 comments:

Anajá Schmitz said...

Lindas inspirações, amei.
Tenha uma ótima semana.
Anajá Schmitz

Curtains in My Tree said...

I had the wicker headboards also back years ago and the huge wicker crown chair to match

Mick said...

I love the turquoise ones! I also REALLY LOVE the white one in the Coral room. I'm glad coral is making a comeback, when we painted the new living room at the Casablanca Coral people said it was an awful choice, then once the room was done... and then when a similar "vintage inspired room" ended up in January's Better Homes and Gardens its now "in"! haha

Mari said...

Ohhhh yessss I remember having that same headboard..lol.. Funny how history repeats itself...

Smiles~
Mari

pogonip said...

Incurable optimist myself too, Nita. Otherwise I'd probably never even start a project!

Funny how a little positive expectation can carry one a long way and give a pretty nice result. Or at least some experience on what NOT to do next time.

Ricki Treleaven said...

I love your guest bedroom. It is fantastic! I remember these headboards. I can remember a couple of my friends having them growing up!

I always underestimate how long it will take to complete a project because dinner must be cooked, laundry sorted….life gets in the way!

Oh, BTW…..we were looking at your blog in the art studio yesterday. One of my friends, Karin, is painting the most AH-mazing portrait of her little Weenie baby Chloe. I'm going to post a photo when she's done. You are going to *D*I*E* over it!!!

Everyone loves your blog (especially Karin).

xo,
RJ

Ana said...

Oh Nita, I have never seen those head boards painted in the bright pretty colors...they are just beautiful. But I think I like the white ones best, especially when they are placed in front of a wall with color, like the red wall or your beige wall. Love it.

Hugs,
❤️Ana

Connie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Revi said...

Love this post! I used to have a heart one...but it didn't look this good!

Scribbler said...

I always wanted one of these, never had one. When I win the lottery and get my beach house, I will track down a couple. I like the red and turquoise best.

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

I never imagined them painted in colours. Lovely! Can't wait to see your living-room. My own dining-room is still unpainted if that makes you feel better.

Candy S said...

I love each and every one of these beauties, I do have to admit though that the turquoise makes my heart skip a beat faster than the others.

glamoursmith@gmail.com said...

I am so jealous, even now. I always wanted one of those, but instead my parents purchased that ghastly off white French Provincial bedroom set - canopy bed (no canopy) dresser and student desk set. sigh. These wicker head boards are still so cool. I'm torn between the white and turquoise.

Tea in the Library said...

I wanted one like this Sooooo much when I was a teen. It was not to be. I did find one at a yard sale when my daughter still thought everything Mummy did was wonderful and had a fun time decorating her room around it. Always fun to visit!

Unknown said...

There are some nice ones. I have also seen some new Headboards For Sale available on Beds, Mattress For Sale.