home my cottage projects book club shop featured my buttons advertise

Friday, September 9, 2011

MVL Book Club #5: Tina Fey - Bossypants


I actually read this last month but didn't get to share. 
I love Tina Fey, she is smart and funny.
30 Rock is the funniest show on tv and has been since the first day it came on the air.
Plus I have a real thing for Alec Baldwin.
Those look like his chubby arms and hands above....don't they?
I wonder if they are?
Loved him in "It's Complicated".
I love him so much I even read the book he wrote about his divorce.
Bought for $3 on the discount shelf.
Love him...but he's probably no fun to be married to. 
His book was more about how to protect yourself from scummy lawyers during a divorce than about his ex wife.
He tried not to say anything negative about her and succeeded, mostly.

Oh...
but this review is about Tina's book - "Bossypants".

It's very funny as to be expected.
She was truly a nerd growing up and gives many examples.
But she has great insights into human nature.

She tells about how she made it big...with lots of hard work.

She says that she doesn't look like her photos. 
That they are photoshopped to death and that is just the way it 
is in our modern media.

She tells that when she went to work at SNL, she was told that you couldn't have just two women alone 
in a sketch together because women just are not funny without men in a sketch.

I was really shocked to hear that not so long ago such prejudices existed.
I don't know why I am so surprised because so many prejudices against women happen every day
in the work place. 

If you think in our modern age, it's an equal work environment....it's really not.
It's suppose to be equal but it still is far from it.
And I'm not even talking about equal pay.
I've given up on that idea.

The following words from Tina really hit home with me when I read them. 
They are true in most businesses not just television.
Although, to be honest...I've been working in radio and perhaps that is the problem.
Although, after talking to other middle aged female friends, 
they are experiencing it in their jobs too as they age.

Tina has many funny and yet wise things to say in this book but this one really hit home...

When talking about her own insecurities as to whether she will be working in five years 
and be successful and respected....she says..

"Let me clarify. I have observed that women, at least in comedy, are labeled 
"crazy" after a certain age.

(example)
FEMALE WRITER: You ever work with __________?
MALE AGENT: (dismissive) She's crazy now.

FEMALE WRITER: You know who I loved growing up?
__________.  What about her for this part?
MALE WRITER: I don't know. I hear she's pretty batshit.

FEMALE WRITER: I got a call today from _________.
MALE PRODUCER: Ugh. We had her on the show once.
She was a crazy assache. She wanted to see her lines
ahead of time. She had all these questions.

I've known older men in comedy who can barely feed and clean themselves, and they still
work. 
The women, though, they're all "crazy."

I have a suspicion - and hear me out, 'cause this is a rough one - I have a suspicion that the definition
of "crazy" in show business is a woman who keeps talking even after no one wants to sleep
with her anymore." 
(although she did not say sleep....I'm trying to keep this clean)

Hate to tell you this Tina but that is not only in show business...its in ALL business.

Anyway...this is a great book...that part just hit me in the face. 
There's lots of this book that's sweet and many parts hysterical.
She tells things about herself that I would not tell anyone in a million years.
And I consider myself a very open person.

I always say you can gossip about me as much as you like because there is not anything I have done
that I don't care if you talk about or know. 
Make stuff up about me...I don't care...it just makes me sound more interesting.

I always think the people worried about being talked about are the ones doing stuff they shouldn't.

Well...the jist is....I highly recommend Tina's book. 
I'll even admit it was better than Alec's.

I'm just anxiously awaiting Alec's next book.

The next book I'm reading is 
I'm anticipating it being a good Halloween - read.

Read anything great lately? 
I have like twenty books waiting for me to read on my shelves.

13 comments:

jeanette from everton terrace said...

I am a big Tina and 30 Rock fan too! I haven't read it but when I was travelling last week I noticed a few people reading it. Sounds very good. I just read something about Baldwin dating a much younger woman or something (surprise). He's also great on the show - so cleverly done. I'm almost finished with a book I haven't really enjoyed that much but feel obligated to finish - silly.

Olive said...

Hi Nita, the old male/female work place bias is ever present. In 2004 I was the Director Of Nursing of a max security prison. That involved me attending the Wardens daily briefing. He called me "doc" all the time and occasionally "young lady" never by my name or title. I had to break him of this habit. Prisons are old male military organizations and not friendly to medical. So I went all "southern" on him and baked him a sour cream pound cake and told him my name and insisted he address me by it from then on. It worked. My best friend said " at least you didn't have to sleep with him." I said yes there's that. I run into him from time to time in town and he calls me by my name and I have been retired for four years. Now could I have done it differently of course but this worked so well.

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

I have not read the Tina Fey book and not sure if I be but I do need to comment on my big crush on Alec Baldwin. I have been watching him since "Knot's Landing and I think he is better now at the age he is than anyother time. Love his voice, loved him in "It's Complicated"...have watched that multiple times. I think he is really good at comedy. Ok...I guess it is obvious ...I like him! lol Hope you are having a good day! ~Hugs, Patti

Lisa said...

Haven't read anything I have really loved in ages. It's been raining here is PA nonstop and a good book would really hit the spot.
Lisa

Amy Chalmers said...

I love Alec Baldwin too. I have yet to see that movie but I am dying to see it (Its Complicated)..The only thing I nknow about Tina is her impersonation of that political figure which I found hystercial..I am not remembering her name right now...oh yeah, Sarah Palin. I must be losing my mind and going CRAZY cuz I am middle aged after all...

Cindi Myers said...

OK, I love Alec Baldwin too. I love that he's charming even when he's being an ass.
But MY favorite film of his was "Prelude to a Kiss". Talk about true love, Wow, to find a man like that. Sigh...
Oh, books - NO! I haven't read a GOOD one for quite a little. And you know that I was screaming praises of "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" until the ending. Horrible stupid, disappointing...Nita, you do NOT need to be reading that NOW!!!
I mean it, toss it!
I did love "The New Yorkers" by Cathleen Schine, read that LAST year.
Now I will go get Tina Fey's. Sounds like I would like that!
:) - Cindi

Bring Pretty Back said...

I MUST read this! LOVE Tina - she is hilarious! Thank you for the review.
AGREE~ Alex is funny , but I wouldn't wanna be married to him!
Have a pretty day!
Kristin

the gardener's cottage said...

i cannot wait to read this. my gf is giving it to me as soon as she is finished. thanks for the review!

Mary Ann said...

Did you see Alec the other night on Letterman? He has lost lots of weight and has a new 28 yo girlfriend. So glad to see you back to blogging. Have a good weekend.

Anonymous said...

It's Complicated was hilarious. A romantic comedy with people in their 50s and 60s? Who does that? Wonderful movie. I laughed out loud in the theater a lot. My girlfriends and I have all just finished The Help, which is a wonderful book. We're off to see the movie tomorrow. Before that, I finished Kate Morton's third book. All three were fantastic. I have about eight books on the shelf that are waiting to be read. When the rainy season hits Northern California, it's reading time. Fire in the fireplace, tea on the table, quilt on my lap.

Ricki Treleaven said...

My fourteen year old is reading Miss Peregrine's School for Exceptional Children right now. I just finished The Map of Time, and I loved it. I just started The Irresistible Henry House, and I think it is going to be *great*.

Susan@Success/Fail DIY Projects said...

I just finished reading Miss Peregrine's... it was very good. Just found your blog and I love it!

Marlene Detierro said...

I read this book in print and liked it. One thing she said that has stuck with me is that even though men tell us otherwise, women aren't competing against each other in the workplace. I wish we'd figure that out and support each other more.

Marlene Detierro (Ptarmigan Alaska)